English, Indonesian or Esperanto

Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:59 pm GMT
No, it's fortísimo.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:08 am GMT
Por supuesto que no, otro ejemplo es Cuero, que significa que alguien esta guapo, y cuando alguien esta muy guapo entonces esta Cuerisimo, no Corisimo.

En pocas palabras si eres un Ingles aprende español y si eres un hispano, no se por que demonios apoyas a los ingleses.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:10 am GMT
RAE:

fortísimo, ma.

1. adj. sup. de fuerte.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 am GMT
Well, if you're both native speakers, then it's a matter of dialect, even if one is standard.

It's like some people in Northern England say 'tret' instead of 'treated'. That sounds wrong to me, but doesn't mean it is actually wrong, as it is part of a dialect.

However I believe written language is different, and if someone wrote that in a formal piece of writing it should be considered wrong, as, rightly or wrongly, language (or English at least) does at present have to adhere to a standard for formal writing.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:13 am GMT
Fortísimo is closer to the original Latin word fortis.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:00 am GMT
Why is it then buenísimo not bonísimo?
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:14 am GMT
Buen punto.

Debe de ser Cuerisimo, Fuertisimo, Buenisimo, Cruelisimo, etc.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:24 am GMT
No, in the case of bueno it's buenísimo. Fortísimo is just an irregularity but coincidentaly it's closer to the original Latin word.
Xie   Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:01 am GMT
>>I've noticed that people always like to talk about how English is so irregular. Compared to what? Constructed languages like Esperanto? Most other languages seem to have a lot more irregularities to me.

But even for me, every new word of Esperanto seems like an exception. Loads of consonantal clusters... and in the Latin script!
furrykef   Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:51 am GMT
<< Why is it then buenísimo not bonísimo? >>

It actually used to be.
Guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:30 pm GMT
No me consta que fuera bonísimo nunca.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:57 am GMT
From the dictionary of the RAE.

bonísimo, ma.

1. adj. sup. de bueno.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
In normal speech people say fortísimo and buenísimo, at least in Spanish. Anyway in the case of fortísimo this is the only accepted form. On the other hand it seems that RAE accepts both bonísimo and buenísimo, but people usually say buenísimo. Bonísimo would sound a little awkward.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:29 pm GMT
at least in Spanish Spanish.