Hello!!

What is the difference between

erect a well on a farm
dig a well on the farm
build a well on the farm

Are they substitutable?

Thanks in advance
Uriel   Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:10 am GMT
Normally you DIG a well. I don't think I've heard the other two.
ECko   Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:30 am GMT
Technically you can't say "erect a well", since thats a contradiction. Erect is only used when building something that goes up, like a skyscraper. If you did use it people would still know what you meant.
Easterner   Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:34 am GMT
Maybe "well" was not an ideal word to be used with "build" and "erect", but focussing on the difference between those two verbs, I have always felt that "erect" is more formal (or literary) than "build".
Easterner   Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:40 am GMT
Just for the sake of interest, I have found an article which demonstrates that "erect" is of a more general use than "build", it can mean something like "set up", not necessarily a building or a construction. However, I find "erect" a little strange to be used in connection with the "object" in the article, so I would welcome any comments by others.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1541732.html
Travis   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:47 am GMT
To me at least, "build" is compatible with the object "well", whereas "erect" sounds completely inappropriate to be used with the object "well".
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:53 am GMT
What about the above ground structure?
Uriel   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:59 am GMT
I was thinking about that too, Geoff, but the main part of a well is still the underground shaft. A well can be with or without a covering structure, depending on how fancy you want it to be, but when I think of "well" I'm thinking mainly below ground. But you're right, you would "build" the wellhouse itself.