Are these OK?

Guest   Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:58 pm GMT
In the doorway, Jane stood. She held on to the frame for support. The wound was deep, she felt.

In the doorway Jane stood. She had waited for hours and was angry with him for being so late.
guest   Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:29 pm GMT
They are Ok.

I personally might make some minor preference changes: like 'onto' instead of 'on to' and 'stood Jane' vs. 'Jane stood', but you certainly have no errors...
furrykef   Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:02 pm GMT
I would prefer "Jane stood in the doorway" unless there's a particular reason to emphasize the doorway.
DJ   Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:50 pm GMT
In the doorway Jane stood is definitely not right. "The wound was deep, she felt." is also odd, as if she were taking part in an abstract discussion of someone else's wound. "She could feel how deep the wound was" is probably what you mean.
guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:35 pm GMT
<<In the doorway Jane stood is definitely not right. "The wound was deep, she felt." is also odd, as if she were taking part in an abstract discussion of someone else's wound. "She could feel how deep the wound was" is probably what you mean.>>

Wait just a minute there DJ, we don't know what style of writing this applies to. It might be a poem, or a song lyric, or anything.

Besides, "In the doorway Jane stood" *is* correct English.
furrykef   Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 pm GMT
Hmm, I think if you want to put "in the doorway" first, "In the doorway stood Jane" sounds better.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 pm GMT
So? "Jane stood" is still correct.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:30 pm GMT
<,Hmm, I think if you want to put "in the doorway" first, "In the doorway stood Jane" sounds better. >>

We're not talking about sounding better, we're talking about whether it's correct or not.

Yes, it's correct.
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:32 am GMT
I think all these are OK, but display varying degrees of 'unusualness':

1 ) Jane stood in the doorway (standard)
2) In the doorway stood Jane. (less common -- for special effect)
3) In the doorway, Jane stood (unusual, but acceptable)
4) Jane, in the doorway, stood (unusual, probably acceptable)
5) Stood Jane in the doorway (very unusual, seems wrong to me)
6) Stood, in the doorway, Jane (very unusual, seems wrong to me)
DJ   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:11 am GMT
There are a lot of people on this forum who will tell learners that incorrect things are correct. Maybe they don't want to nitpick. The only correct versions are :

1. Jane stood in the doorway.
2. In the doorway stood Jane.

The latter is for effect: In the doorway stood Jane, pondering the errors of her life.
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:14 am GMT
I thought you weren't supposed to post here anymore.
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:47 am GMT
<<The only correct versions are :

1. Jane stood in the doorway.
2. In the doorway stood Jane. >>

Not hardly -- (3) and (4) can also be perfectly correct, in some contexts:

In the doorway, Jane stood her ground as she waited for the hungry polar to get within range of the pepper spray.

Jane, in the doorway, stood her ground as she carefully aimed the 12-gauge shotgun at the hungry polar bear's face, now only inches in front of the twin barrels.
DJ   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:54 am GMT
REad the initial post again. You were asked to comment on "in the doorway, Jane stood PERIOD." And stood and stood her ground are different.
furrykef   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:46 am GMT
<< We're not talking about sounding better, we're talking about whether it's correct or not. >>

Sometimes correctness is a matter of degree, not a clear-cut yes-or-no thing...

- Kef
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:54 pm GMT
<<There are a lot of people on this forum who will tell learners that incorrect things are correct. Maybe they don't want to nitpick.>>

And there are a few people, Like DJ, who don't know what the H*LL they're talking about. So just ignore them.