"chewing gum" effect

Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:01 pm GMT
If you want to post to this forum, you must agree that you will not post:

8. Messages in languages other than English to the English forum.
Travis   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:07 pm GMT
>>8. Messages in languages other than English to the English forum.<<

And just why do *you* care oh-so-much all of a sudden, guest? Just to be a pain in the ass? The moderators obviously do not care about Greg's posting in French, or else they would have deleted his posts in here in French long ago.
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:09 pm GMT
Is it important the reason why I do care about this? Let's be objective and not ask about personal motivations. Rules on antimoon are so and people must follow them.
Travis   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:18 pm GMT
Ah, so empty legalism without any real justification is all you can stand upon?
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:25 pm GMT
<<>>Please moderator. Delete greg's message. It's against the rule no. 8 of this forum.<<

Please shut up. If you really can't read it, you can always use Google Translator, thank you. >>

I kinda agree. This is the *English* section, where students come to get answers to *English* questions. If greg can't write in English here for their benefit, and give English tutorial in ENGLISH, then he shouldn't give anything at all.

What's he doing giving English lessons in French anyway???

Am I wrong here?
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:34 pm GMT
About moderators allowing him to write in French, well, that is not something to be proud of. He simply abuses from their benevolence. I wonder if we can skip other rules appart from this one like greg does.
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:34 pm GMT
Every rule is bent sometimes and greg is that exception and has been for a long time. He was never destructive and we love him.
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:38 pm GMT
What would happen if everyone wrote in the language they want in the English section? Rules are meant to be followed, and, appart from that, I think that to write in English in the English section is just a reasonable thing.
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
Legalism is only good to an extent, beyond is the politics. You'll understand it when you're older.
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:55 pm GMT
Ok, legalism is not good but to write in French in an English forum about learning English is right. I thought that politeness was more spread among older people.
Travis   Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
The reason why greg writes in French in here is basically as a protest over English getting its own forum here while all other languages are relegated to a single "Languages" forum. As greg has been writing in here in French for a long time, since before the "Languages" forum even existed, his use of French has effectively been grandfathered in in this particular forum.
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:08 pm GMT
I don't mind greg's mental insanity. This the only important thing:

If you want to post to this forum, you must agree that you will not post:

8. Messages in languages other than English to the English forum.

Period.
Jasper   Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:16 pm GMT
(ahem) Back to the topic.

<Remember that the original poster said that a German make the chewing gum remark...

Now think of how a German or German speaking person sounds to us (Arnold Schwarzenegger for example)...

Germans speak with the words being formed very forward in their mouths. .it DOES sound (at least to *their* ears) that we are "swallowing" out words. It has nothing to do with diphthongs...>

Guest, I don't think I can agree with this. To ME, anyway, German sounds gutteral, not labial-- Swiss dialects in particular. Admittedly, this is a subjective perception, filtered through the sounds of my native tongue.

If you want a labial language, I'd point to Spanish, which is labial on steroids.

On another note, one German native told me that her old English teacher said,"When you speak English, you need to pretend that you have a potato in your mouth."

This agrees with what you've said, Guest, but I can't see how a potato can be matched up with chewing-gum; potatoes have to do with opening passages, while chewing gum concerns chewing motions.
guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:16 pm GMT
<<The reason why greg writes in French in here is basically as a protest over English getting its own forum here while all other languages are relegated to a single "Languages" forum.>>

If He wants to protest, then he shouldn't attend our meetings. Right? What's the logic there?

It's like protesting a MAdonna concert, but going and sitting in the third row. C'mon!
Guest   Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
Noobs, leave greg alone. Period.