Europeans' english

Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:56 am GMT
We often hear how 'all Europeans speak English', and get figures like 85% or something in the Netherlands, Finland, Denmark etc.. Well, I want to know, how well to people REALLY know English in these leading countries, for example, can they watch native English language movies (especially slang laden ones) without subtitles? Can they easily read English classics, like Dickens?

Since this is a language forum, your levels may be higher, but what is the level like for the people you live around? Ie, educated people who know English, but not language fanatics...
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:45 pm GMT
Аn increasing amount of Europeans are 'anti-English' and choose other languages instead of English.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:54 pm GMT
Scandinavians are now almost a branch of the Anglosaxon culture, they speak English perfectly, almost like natives.. Perhaps the Dutch don't speak English as well but still much better than the rest of Europeans. I believe that English will become the mother tonge of all the Europeans in the long term.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:13 pm GMT
I believe that English will become the mother tonge of all the Europeans in the long term.

Whattt??? AHHAH!!! Are you drunk???!!!
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 pm GMT
Yes, it will happen like during the Roman empire. Latin displaced all the aboriginal languages.
Guest   Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:31 am GMT
That's a joke. While msot people can speak English very well on a formal level, ie for business, or in a meeting, or for helping tourists, very few can understand movies without subtitles.
Guest   Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:18 pm GMT
The empire will fall before it spreads its language.
Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
In fact we are at the time of the Roman Empire.... smart answer