Dutch in Brussels

Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:30 am GMT
<< A lack of French would not post a problem in Brussels either. As the capital of the E.U, most people speak decent English. Furthermore, I don't recommend Brussels for French studies. There is a very large immigrant and international population in Brussels. You will encounter many people who are not francophones. >>

It should have been,

A lack of Dutch is wide advantage in Brussels. As the capital of the E.U, most people speak decent English and French. Furthermore, I don't recommend Brussels for Dutch studies. There is a very large immigrant and international population in Brussels. You will encounter those people who have become francophones instead of becoming Dutch speakers.

Dutch language is on its way to extinction. The Dutch speakers in Netherlands will eventually switch to English while those in Flanders will switch to French. Dutch speakers in Surinam and Netherland Antilles will stick to Sranan Tongo and Papiamento and replace Dutch with English as their internaitonal language like what Indonesia did.

Afrikaans, the derivative of the Dutch language is more likely to survive despite the presussure coming from English and it will inspire Hispanic America to declare linguistic independence from Castellano because of the huge differences with their respective speeches.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:42 am GMT
Afrikaans, the derivative of the Dutch language is more likely to survive despite the presussure coming from English and it will inspire Hispanic America to declare linguistic independence from Castellano because of the huge differences with their respective speeches.

Claro, claro. Lo ultimo que has dicho es muy probable...pero en tus sueños.

Siento decirte que las telenovelas, las noticias y las canciones latinas se entienden perfectamente en todos los paises Hispanos, incluida España.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:43 pm GMT
<< Claro, claro. Lo ultimo que has dicho es muy probable...pero en tus sueños.

Siento decirte que las telenovelas, las noticias y las canciones latinas se entienden perfectamente en todos los paises Hispanos, incluida España. >>

Sure, sure! That's why I heard Latin Americans pronounce VIctoria as Vitoria, Españoles as Ehpañoleh/Ezpañolez.

The word coger means to take in Castellano but in Latin America it means to copulate.

Listen! If you're from Mexico or Spian, why don't you try talking to a Chilean, Cuban, or an Argentinean child who has not yet gone to school and see if you can perfectly understand him.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:08 pm GMT
Victoria in Amercan Spanish should be more like Vihtoria , with an aspired h. Nothing strange for many Spaniards because in Spain herself some dialects like Andalusian and transitional dialects like Extremaduran pronounce it the same way. Spanish is such a lovely language. If the Dutch really want to change their language,, which would be rather strange, because nobody wants to leave his mother tongue despite English may be useful, I recommend them Spanish.
Paki   Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
I was raised watching Venezuelan telenovelas like the mythical Cristal and being an Spaniard I uderstood everything quite effortlessly. Also I read American Spanish authors like Isabel Allende and the language they use is identical to the European authors' one.
JLK   Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:36 pm GMT
<<It should have been,

A lack of Dutch is wide advantage in Brussels. As the capital of the E.U, most people speak decent English and French. Furthermore, I don't recommend Brussels for Dutch studies. There is a very large immigrant and international population in Brussels. You will encounter those people who have become francophones instead of becoming Dutch speakers.

Dutch language is on its way to extinction. The Dutch speakers in Netherlands will eventually switch to English while those in Flanders will switch to French. Dutch speakers in Surinam and Netherland Antilles will stick to Sranan Tongo and Papiamento and replace Dutch with English as their internaitonal language like what Indonesia did.

Afrikaans, the derivative of the Dutch language is more likely to survive despite the presussure coming from English and it will inspire Hispanic America to declare linguistic independence from Castellano because of the huge differences with their respective speeches.>>

Hilarious... Dutch isn't going anywhere, my friend. They are very proud of their language. Try getting a job in Brussels without speaking Dutch. It's tough. Unemployment amongst francophones in Brussels is sky high, not so with Dutch speakers. Dutch and Flanders are very prosperous regions. French and Walloons are flooding there for jobs and guess what, they're having to learn Dutch.
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
I wonder why the Walloons are the poorest Belgians now when historically they were the Flemish. Anyway I find nasty and opportunistic to take advantage of this new situation to claim independence like some Flemish do only because they are richer.
JLK   Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:29 pm GMT
There were large coal and iron deposits in Wallonia, but those industries went into recession. Flanders became very capitalist and industrialized. The Flemish wouldn't want independence if they didn't have to subsidize their lazy Walloon compatriots. Every year, millions of dollars is funneled into Wallonia from Flanders. And they've done nothing with the money, Wallonia is only getting poorer. There is hardly any industry, most of the people are monolinguals, less educated than their Flemish compatriots,etc...It isn't opportunistic, Guest. It is really the only rational thing for Flanders to do.