foot-strut split

Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:45 pm GMT
What other dialects besides those of northern England have not experienced the foot-strut split? In an older topic on here, I read an American saying that bull and dull rhymed in his accent. Where could he have been from? I've never heard an American talk like that.
Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
Now that I think of it, could he have been from Southern California? If so, would this be unrelated to the original split? Because I was watching Paris Hilton (of all people) on TV and I noticed that when she said "skull" it sounded something like "skole"; sort of like "school" but not quite.
Lazar   Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
<<In an older topic on here, I read an American saying that bull and dull rhymed in his accent.>>

I think that's a poor example: it probably had more to do with influence from the /l/ than with any broad phonemic issue. As far as I know, the foot-strut split is universal in North America.
Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:21 pm GMT
I'm from Southern California.

BULL and DULL rhyme.
FOOT and STRUT do not, nor do SKULL and SCHOOL.
Guest   Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:26 pm GMT
Do bull, dull, and skull all rhyme with each other?
Rick   Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:31 am GMT
I'm American. "bull" and "dull" rhyme [bU5] and [dU5] as well as "skull" [skU5]. "foot" [fUt] and "strut" [strVt] however certainly don't rhyme for me.
Guest   Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:27 am GMT
Does anybody else make "doll" homophones with "dull"? I sometimes do, but I would say there is a very slight difference.
Guy   Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:28 am GMT
I say [dA5] or [dQ5] for doll and [do5] for dull. Dull, bull and skull all rhyme for me.
Lazar   Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:37 am GMT
The dialect here in Massachusetts treats these words pretty conservatively. I have:

bull ["bU5]
dull ["dV5]
doll ["dQ:5]
skull ["skV5]
school ["sku:5]

There's essentially no allophonic difference between the vowels I use in "dull" and "dub", for example.
Trawicks   Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:09 pm GMT
<<In Ireland, the foot-strut split can be neutralized, especially in rural or lower-class speech, but I think all speakers have a distinction of some sort. Other than that, I think Northern England is the only area without a foot-strut distinction.>>

In working-class Dublin, the difference is minimal to non-existent. Outside of that city, there's usually a slight difference between the two.
Guest   Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
When "skull", "bull", and "dull" rhyme, what about "pull".

(For me, full, pull and bull rhyme, and cull, lull, mull, null, dull, gull, hull rhyme.)