Vowel names, UK vs US

beetie   Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:41 pm GMT
In the US, "Long A" refers to the vowel of "fate". In the UK, it refers to the vowel of "father". So what do they call the vowel of "fate" in the UK?

Also, what are the names of the vowels in the words "call" and "look"?
Lazar   Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:57 pm GMT
As an American, I'm familiar with "long A" referring to the vowel of "fate", and "broad A" referring to the vowel of "palm", but to be honest I don't even know what the names would be for the vowels in "call" and "look". Is there a consistent, widely recognized nomenclature at all?

It's much more useful to use IPA to specify phonemes and sounds.
beetie   Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:48 pm GMT
Hmm. I'm not a native speaker of English, so I wouldn't know much about this, but don't school teachers in English speaking countries, when they teach kids how to read, generally use terms like "long I", "long E", "short A", "short E", "short O" etc. to refer to actual spoken vowel sounds? Surely they would need a name for every vowel.
guest   Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
They would probably say:
The a-sound in 'call'
or the oo-sound as in 'look' (to distinguish it from the oo-sounds of 'food' and 'flood')
Jim   Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:57 pm GMT
A good way to get your message across (without IPA) is to use lexical sets and call them the KIT vowel, the DRESS vowel, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexical_set
Lazar   Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:02 pm GMT
Yes, I think that would be a much better idea. Kudos to JC Wells.
Guest   Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:27 am GMT
Most native English speakers are not familiar with IPA and it usually confuses them.
Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:07 am GMT
This is an interesting thread. I decided to flirt with a certain language, but I could not find a complete course easily until my library provided me with an older British course. It's fantastic UNTIL the British author tells me that the sound we'll be hearing sounds like such and such sound.

I haven't yelled "Shut up. I don't pronounce that word in English that way and your explanation makes no sense when you explain vowels to me that way." yet, because thankfully, once the native speakers speak I can hear exactly how it should sound, not an approximation using terminology only known to British folks.
Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:15 am GMT
I enjoyed the lexical sets.