Xie: The perfect thing for you

Imran/ emranyousef@yahoo.   Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
So many English learners suffer from their incapability of using English in real situations to which they are often exposed; they feel anxious and frustrated whenever they are indulged into English native speakers' conversations. However, they may be much better if they're allowed to express their thoughts graphically. Why do that anxiety and fear take up and cause the majority of English learners feel unconfident of their four successive years in a college of English? Is there diffidence imposing its ghost upon their blazing motivation to talk English? Is there some feeling that befalls all the learners when they made mistakes at different levels? Is it possible to avoid all the superstitions that rein in their English fluency dream and then enable them to master English as his/her native tongue?
"I'm a teacher of English, and have been teaching young learners for over three years. Yet, I try to avoid meeting any English native speaker as much as I do love to speak with him/her. Some of my colleagues do the same, but they show with me a very great and unexpected fluency when we talk to each other. This has made me divided up and discontent of what I have and a vicious fighter for absorbing English as a cracked ground does in cool water." Sámi said.
"I've learnt English at an Arab university and got English B.A in 2002. Yet, I feel diffident and shy as a miserable and subdued soldier who knows he's compelled to assassinate innocent children, women, and old miserable laborious people walking for a steady good living. All the professors who taugh me English were Arabic native speakers, giving no chance to their learners to practice English inside the classroom, nor have they enough time to listen to us outside. They seemed to be programmed to end up their book they've designed before in the most appropriate time to do so." Ruba said.
Would you please correct all the mistakes you find and send this to complete? Thanks a lot.
beneficii   Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:09 pm GMT
Jasper,

"One writer who comes to mind is Shakespeare--somewhat difficult for a native, probably very difficult to a foreigner. James Joyce is supposed to be difficult to understand, although I am not too familiar with his works. Some popular columnists, such as the late Herb Caen, wrote with a style that included a lot of puns and other plays on words. "

Well, it depends on the nature of the "foreigner." Someone like Xie who continues to take in large amounts of English input can probably come to understand that. Native English speakers need to have Shakespeare explained to them in modern English generally; so if that's all Xie needs, then he would be in a good position.
Xie   Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:36 am GMT
>>>I'm a teacher of English, and have been teaching young learners for over three years. Yet, I try to avoid meeting any English native speaker as much as I do love to speak with him/her. Some of my colleagues do the same, but they show with me a very great and unexpected fluency when we talk to each other.

An article? LOL, I can tell you that the English of many would-be English teachers of Hong Kong really sucks, to different extents. If I had taken an education program, I would be getting qualifications to work as a teacher later, but a lot of course work would just be preventing _both_ of us from gaining real fluency. There are lots of teaching methods, as I have been told (by a would-be teacher), for both teachers and self-learners, but I doubt whether he and his classmates are going to apply them successfully years later.

I can see that, perhaps except bilingual children who obtain fluency owing to personal experiences in at least two cultures (languages), many of us would inevitably fail in this acquisition, no matter how famous Krashen has been for putting forward ideas that you might not otherwise be able to think of but find to be terribly easy to understand (i + 1). The ultimate question is two-fold: how possible would it be for me (like reading elements of style, I've just got it!) and others to read extensively to challenge the level of command of native speakers? What does fluency mean if you don't have enough exposure in a native environment?

I've just heard of how that would-be teacher succeeded in gaining fluency in Japanese "merely" (as he told) by playing games and following dialogues along. I can see how massive input works for him and for the AJATT guy (ah, and both are learning Japanese too!). He's now able to discuss linguistics with Japanese professors and is studying old Japanese, beyond the level of most struggling learners elsewhere in where he lives. BUT, it is still his second language, so is English to me. Truly, as a (supposedly enlightened) UG student, while I've been pleased to see the ocean of knowledge, I find it extremely frustrating not to have been raised in English (as well). I should be happy to now have a language with high culture, but the cultural differences are sometimes really hard to overcome, and it's so exhausting to struggle with every single word. I still want to get my messages across, but obviously what I write is tasteless.

The ultimate motivation killer, even for me, a supposedly mature adult, now as a student, is actually TIME. Many ESL learners have had their second language imposed upon. The worse irony is that many of them have to learn a second language that they WON'T actually use. In general, native speakers are often quite forgiving, but like what Esperantists would say, it's often NOT that convenient to force yourself to produce output of a second language when you often have to be corrected, you don't have enough input, as a chronic problem, and you may not even have the chance to travel at all. How can I on earth, like if I would become a scholar of linguistics or English or the like, tell students like a Confucian scholar, and wholeheartedly, that "I'm sorry, but it really takes a lot of time. Take your time!"? It's entirely tiresome to try to get input, though I'm still forcing myself to do this, since I see the point of finding truth.