de pied en cap

greg   Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:17 pm GMT
Voici une expression que je vous propsoe de traduire dans les langues que vous connaissez.

N'hésitez pas à corriger les traductions suivantes si vous voyez des erreurs. Merci.

FAMILLE ROMANE
Français : de pied en cap
Italiano : da capo a piedi
Latina : a vertice ad talos — a calce ad caput
Piemonteis : da testa an pè

FAMILLE GERMANIQUE
Deutsch : vom Kopf bis zum Fuß — vom Scheitel bis zur Ferse
Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:38 pm GMT
English: from head to foot, from head to toe, "cap-à-pied" is a French phrase used in English
Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:51 pm GMT
In my language we say "disdi li piedi ad la capeça"
Mallorquí.   Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:59 pm GMT
Català:

De cap a peus.
guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:02 pm GMT
<<English: from head to foot, from head to toe, "cap-à-pied" is a French phrase used in English >>

How do you know that this is a French phrase? and that the English use comes from French?

Do only the French have heads and toes?

If we were to discover life on Mars, and the being there have heads and toes, I guarantee that they use the same expression.

It's like saying our use of "and" comes from French because the French use "et" as a conjunction--all languages have this feature. It's basic.
Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
Do only the French have heads and toes?

TY, Guest. That was hilarious.

Perhaps the guest meant that some people say it in English and John Kerry, his wife, and maybe Mitt Romney say it both ways.
Guest   Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:26 pm GMT
That wasn't a political endorsement for Romney, btw. I heard that he was a Mormon missionary in France, and the Kerrys speak French too.
Guest   Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:29 am GMT
<<How do you know that this is a French phrase? and that the English use comes from French?>>

Because "cap", "à", and "pied" are all French words, not English words. Therefore, the English usage of "cap-à-pied" probably came from French.

"From head to toe" is the most common way to say it in English, but "cap-à-pied" is listed in English dictionaries.
Guest   Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:33 am GMT
People who use cap-a-pied (if they exist really) instead of from head to toe must be sick of pure snobbery.
Guest   Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:11 am GMT
Here are some examples of the usage of "cap-a-pie".

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2004/05/26.html
Guest   Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:13 am GMT
I think I've heard the "french" version in a song-maybe a broadway song, maybe once.
Guest   Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:15 am GMT
You can "cap a pie" by putting a crust on it. "Cap-à-pied" seems like a word a fashion designer would use-not that I would know that or anything.
greg   Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:25 am GMT
FAMILLE ROMANE
Català : de cap a peus
Français : de pied en cap (de la tête aux pieds — des pieds à la tête)
Gascon biarnés : cap e tot
Italiano : da capo a piedi
Latina : a vertice ad talos — a calce ad caput
Piemonteis : da testa an pè

FAMILLE GERMANIQUE
Deutsch : vom Kopf bis zum Fuß — vom Scheitel bis zur Ferse
English : from head to foot — from head to toe — cap-à-pied

FAMILLE SLAVE
?
Guest   Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:18 pm GMT
SCB/Slovenian:od glave do pete
Guest   Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:20 pm GMT
In German, you more likely would say ''vom Scheitel bis zur Sohle''.