English - overly complicated?

Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:26 am GMT
People who think there is a correlation between grammatical structure and thought are stupid. It doesn't matter how flexible or rigid a language's structure is. You can still express whatever you want to regardless. The same idiots also claim that English is less expressive because it lacks grammatical gender, declensions, significant verb conjugation, etc. when those things have nothing to do with expressing thought.
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:29 am GMT
Japan is still a very traditional society. I personally know the case of two brilliant, foreign students who were rejected in a Japanese University (thanks to the Vulcano exchange program) because they were women. They are not modern in many senses.
Also, do the Japanese allow migrants like US or other Western countries do?. That they are specially suitable people for a capitalistic economic model, based on high ratios of productivity ,does not mean that they are not closed-minded in many aspects.
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:44 am GMT
No offtopic please.
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:46 am GMT
Sorry. At least it's not "hi, I'm 20 now".
mac   Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:33 am GMT
<< Rigid grammar structures lead to mental rigidities which make people unable to adapt to a changing world. For this reason I think that Spanish is the language of the XXI century. >>

As much as I like Spanish, I don't see it happening. I don't see what Spanish has over English regarding rigid grammar. English is not so rigid or strict (at least compared to many others), but is quite casual, and it is easy to understand someone even they are not speaking well. Spanish has this attribute as well and may become even more popular, but the presence of English internationally is too well established and powerful for to be replaced any time in the future that we can see.
Teuton   Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:38 am GMT
<< People who think there is a correlation between grammatical structure and thought are stupid. It doesn't matter how flexible or rigid a language's structure is. You can still express whatever you want to regardless. The same idiots also claim that English is less expressive because it lacks grammatical gender, declensions, significant verb conjugation, etc. when those things have nothing to do with expressing thought. >>

True. Many of the greatest technological inovations in history have come from German, English speakers.
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:55 am GMT
This thread has nothing to do with 'international languages' or which is more popular or which is better for science or which is more 'open minded' and whether rigidity of grammar implies progressiveness. These subjects could be itneresting if discussed in a due manner but this is not the place, create another thread.

Please, read the following to refresh your memories:

<<Why is it that English seems to offer a more difficult read than other languages? I speak English and Spanish equally well, and whenever I read a book written originally in a language I don't understand and am presented with the choice of two translations,.. well, Spanish always wins... Why? Because it is just so much more clear what is being said, whereas English appears incredibly long-winded and overly complicated. For example, the same sentence in, say, a Russian classic can look like some 19th century philosophical rambling of a philology professor in English and yet in Spanish it is clear and concise and instantly understandably. Often one of the main problems with English is the use of complex rare words, just for the hell of it it sometimes seems, because the Spanish versions just use more common everyday words, even if more literary variants exist, or maybe it's just bad translating. Anyway, I couldn't accept this because it doesn't seem logical that one language could just be more difficult to understand, just like that, but I can't think of any other reason. It's not my ability that's at fault, for I even received a higher proportion of my education in English than Spanish. So, I want expert opinion on this matter.>>

<<For example, I don't know the original word, but in one place in the English version it says 'countenance' and in Spanish it is 'cara'. Countenance sounds very old-fashioned and pompous where as cara is a common everyday word.>>
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:52 am GMT
I thought English was supposed to be the easiest language in the world? I always read this on language forums.
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:00 am GMT
<<Rigid grammar structures lead to mental rigidities which make people unable to adapt to a changing world. For this reason I think that Spanish is the language of the XXI century.>>

I doubt that very much. Traditionally, a lingua franca has followed economics.

Spanish is the language of the workers.
greg   Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:47 am GMT
"Guest" : « English is probably the language with richer vocabulary. »

Tu confonds probablement "vocabulaire" avec "entrée de dictionnaire". Ce sont deux notions distinctes.
Xie   Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:11 am GMT
>>This thread has nothing to do with 'international languages' or which is more popular or which is better for science or which is more 'open minded' and whether rigidity of grammar implies progressiveness. These subjects could be itneresting if discussed in a due manner but this is not the place, create another thread.

what really is rigidity? It isn't in any way useful for discussing. Every language has its own rules, unless you can prove to me that babbling is a language in its own right. It's unfair to compare a particular aspect of a pair or more languages and jump to conclusions.
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:54 am GMT
I get it.
Spanish will rule, French is the best, English is the easiest/most complicated and Romanian sounds Slavic.
So, what's new?
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:56 am GMT
<So, what's new? >

English is a native language of blood thirty people like Americans and British. Take a look at their history!
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:49 pm GMT
<<True. Many of the greatest technological inovations in history have come from German, English speakers. >>

True as far as German speakers are concerned, but what are the technological innovations made by English speakers?
Guest   Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:29 pm GMT
<<Rigid grammar structures lead to mental rigidities which make people unable to adapt to a changing world. For this reason I think that Spanish is the language of the XXI century.>>

Excuse me, but why should I -- or anybody else -- should adapt to a changing world? Does the world really change? It's just always the same boring stuff: violence, terrorism, greed for money, power, etc.

And why should somebody adopt to a changing world (if it changes) if he or she doesn't like that change? What if a new dictatorship comes up. Would you also adopt easily?