English - overly complicated?

Guest   Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:58 pm GMT
How good is English at expressing the complex ideas of linguistics? -- Do linguists just create an extensive jargon to overcome the limitations of the general English vocabulary?

As far as professions go, I guess you can weigh their relative usefulness by looking at the job market. Are Linguists more in demand than Philosophers, Astronomers, Doctors, Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC people, etc. How do the salaries compare?
guest   Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:03 pm GMT
<<Linguistics is not more useful than philosophy. >>

Linguistics is like the telegraph wire...
Philosophy is the message/information being sent over the wire...

Philosophy is higher...
Linguistics is a tool

Typez-vous "j'hate l'épamme" dans le boçon d'à-bas:
j'hate l'épamme
Guest   Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:18 pm GMT
<<Linguistics is like the telegraph wire... >>

Isn't language more like the telephone wire, and Linguistics would be like Communications or Information Theory, or even EMAG (studying bandwidths, S/N ratios, entropy/uncertainty, radiative losses, and all that stuff).
guest   Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:51 pm GMT
<<Isn't language more like the telephone wire, and Linguistics would be like Communications or Information Theory, or even EMAG (studying bandwidths, S/N ratios, entropy/uncertainty, radiative losses, and all that stuff). >>

Yes, I can see that...

or language as the impulses or packets of information flowing, and linguistics as the wire-- the material, operation, functionality, properties of, etc...

oh ...I like your explanation better!
Guest   Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:34 pm GMT
If you only want 'useful' professions why don't you go become a street cleaner? It's useful.