Moderators - Please Explain The Policy On Use Of Metaphors

Geoff_One   Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:03 pm GMT
Why was my Metaphor thread deleted at warp 9 speed?

From memory there was even a Star Trek episode that was entirely
on the quintessential language topic of metaphors. The crew of the Starship Enterprize encountered an alien race who communicated entirely in metaphors. I think that it took almost the entire show for the 23 rd century (24 th century technology -someone else may be able to provide a better time frame) Startrek language technology (probably computers plus humans plus a vulcan) to even begin to understand the metaphor communicating alien race.

In view of the above, a lengthy explanation is warranted as to why the metaphor thread was deleted. Was it possibly an oversight?
guest   Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
to hastily delete or not delete

is it better to err on the side of not deleting?
Geoff_One   Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:26 am GMT
<< I don't know about lengthy, but if I recall correctly, the OP was a single sentence that made no sense to me. If you want to talk about the language or whatever, you'll have to explain it more in the OP so that people will be able to respond. >>

Josh,

What was the nature of the no sense quandary?

a. Did it make no sense to you and you didn't realize that it was a metaphor,

b. You couldn't work out the sense of it, but you realized that it was a metaphor, or

c. Something else.

In regard to 'a' - I don't have time to play such games (sending messages that make no sense) and are not very interested in them.
If your answer was 'b', why didn't you just say that you realize that it is a metaphor and that you would like an explanation of the metaphor.
Geoff_One   Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 am GMT
Steam rollers