hour - our

Guest   Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:06 am GMT
Where is hour pronounced the same as our?
Travis   Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:13 am GMT
Or should we say *when* is "hour" pronounced the same as "our", or conversely, is "are" pronounced the same as "our". We have already had a discussion here of this sort, but I will quickly outline how it works here in southeastern Wisconsin. In less conservative everyday speech, and especially that of younger people, "our" rhymes with stressed "are" here, as [ˈɑːʁ], but in formal/stressed/careful speech and more conservative everyday speech "our" rhymes with "hour" here as, [ˈa̠ːo̯ʁ̩ː]. Other dialects may have only one pronunciation or the other, but at least here both are in active use.
Guest   Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:23 am GMT
Here in upstate NY, it's pretty much the same -- we say "our" like "hour" when we want to stress it, and pronounce it like "are" in more routine uses. Its not clear if this is age-dependent, though.
Guest   Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:48 am GMT
''Where is hour pronounced the same as our?''

It should be WHEN and not WHERE,
stressed form: same as ''hour''
unstressed form: same as ''are''
Guest   Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:43 am GMT
Where are they always pronounced the same?
Guest   Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 pm GMT
I'm originally from Chicago, and I have the same system as Travis and the Guest from Upstate New York. I also have a bit of Canadian Raising on my pronunciation of "hour" and stressed version of "our".

I could be wrong, but I believe that most dialects in the United States and Canada use this method.
Jim   Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:39 pm GMT
Should it be "when" not "where"? Should it not be "when, where and by whom"? My (Australian) "hour" rhymes with "flour", "power", "sour", "tower", etc. (i.e. /{O.@/) but, oddly enough, my "our" rhymes with "how", "now", "brow", "cow", etc. (i.e. /{O/).