problem with the negation of a verb

Guest   Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:33 pm GMT
'Grisham is happy to write what he hopes is "a high-quality popular fiction." But that matters not to fans, who gobble every word'
I found this text on the CNN site. Shouldn't it be: 'doesn't matter'?
Guest   Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:15 pm GMT
It is possible to place "not" after a verb to negate it in formal writing.
Guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:20 am GMT
Yes -- it can be done even in informal writing:

I am not sleepy. (formal)

I'm not sleepy. (informal)
guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:50 am GMT
<<Yes -- it can be done even in informal writing:

I am not sleepy. (formal)

I'm not sleepy. (informal) >>

This example doesn't fit the point...
should be something like:

1). I don't sleep.

2). I sleep not.
guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:52 am GMT
<<But that matters not to fans, who gobble every word'
>>

This is more for effect.
Normally, one would say: doesn't matter, but the other negation, which is older in English, is fine almost in all cases, even though not often heard except in phrases like "I think not" for 'I don't think so', etc.
Guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
but the text of Aragorn in Two Towers: 'What say you?' is not correct? I don't like the English constructions with 'do'. I'd prefer the older constructions with the inversion of subject become popular again...
Guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 pm GMT
it was in the Return of the King naturally with this army of ghosts. My mistake.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:58 pm GMT
Use the Do construction. As already stated the negative after the verb is older usage that writers use to make their work read more elaborate.
Travis   Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 am GMT
>>Use the Do construction. As already stated the negative after the verb is older usage that writers use to make their work read more elaborate.<<

Remember, though, that it is still preserved in spoken usage in some frozen phrases like "I think not", and is not *purely* literary in nature.
Guest   Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:36 pm GMT
By Nirvana:

"He's the one who likes all the pretty songs, and he likes to sing along, and he likes to shoot his gun, but he knows not what it means, knows not what it means."
Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:37 am GMT
>>Travis Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:27 am GMT
>>Use the Do construction. As already stated the negative after the verb is older usage that writers use to make their work read more elaborate.<<

Remember, though, that it is still preserved in spoken usage in some frozen phrases like "I think not", and is not *purely* literary in nature.<<

"I think not" doesn't necessarily mean "I don't think" though, wouldn't you agree?
"I hope not" also sprung to mind, but again, it doesn't really mean that I don't hope.
MrPedantic   Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
Sometimes slightly archaic structures are used to produce an effect of "detached amusement".

I would take "it matters not" in your text as an example of this.

Best wishes,

MrP