you are gay if you say to another boy he is handsome

Guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:08 am GMT
why do people in us or canada think a guy is gay if he says another guy is handsome... while its perfectly normal for a girl to say to another girl that she is beautiful or pretty?
in my country its normal for guys to say that and they arent suspected to be gay.. but why is it like this in us and canada?
Guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:24 am GMT
Because they're prone to it, or their culture has allowed them to be prone to it. So they are afraid of being suspected, whereas in other cultures it's not considered a possibility so no one cares.
Guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:07 am GMT
Because US males are paranoid about gayness. Half of them are closeted gays.
Pos   Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:33 am GMT
I recognise a handsome guy when I see one, and i'm not gay.
Guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:36 am GMT
I don't ever say men are handsome because it doesn't matter to me what they look like, I'll take 'em however.
Guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:46 pm GMT
Because guys are more interested in chicks and how hot they are, rather than in what guys look like, so saying a guy is handsome might be seen as slightly unusual. Unless you are talking about Chuck Norris. Everybody knows he's handsome.
guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:18 pm GMT
I'm in the US and saying another man is handsome or good-looking is not automatically inferred as being gay. Unless, of course, the one saying it *is* gay, and you can pretty much tell. I guess it's all in how or why they say it.
I'm not gay, but I recognize when a man is handsome, sure. Naturally, it does nothing for me, and I don't voice it out loud...why do that??? Girls are verbal lol.

When a girl says another girl is pretty, that's different. That's their way. They're girls.
Guys show that kind of recognition, but not that way. You can't expect guys to be girls. What characterizes one doesn't characterize the other. There are distinct ways in which males and females are inherently different.

It would be like asking why a girl can't think that another girl is cool and want to hang around with her. See? That would make her sound kinda like a lesbian. see the difference?

If you're asking why you can't say another guy is handsome, you might wanna check yourself hehe : )
Milton   Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:25 pm GMT
Sometimes girl's best friend is called her ''girlfriend''
but boy's best friend can never be his ''boyfriend''
funnily enough, in German language, both boyfriend and male friend is said Freund, and both girlfriend and female friend is said Frendin ;)
Milton   Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:26 pm GMT
Sometimes girl's best friend is called her ''girlfriend''
but boy's best friend can never be his ''boyfriend''
funnily enough, in German language, both boyfriend and male friend is said Freund, and both girlfriend and female friend is said Freundin ;)
Guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:30 pm GMT
The thing is in some places it is normal, so it's just cultural. Homophobia!
Blake   Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
You are gay if you think another boy is handsome and you then tell him
Skippy   Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:26 am GMT
This is not the definition of homophobia. Jokingly calling a friend "gay" is different from a hatred or fear of homosexuals.
guest   Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:22 pm GMT
<<This is not the definition of homophobia. Jokingly calling a friend "gay" is different from a hatred or fear of homosexuals. >>

Correct. Calling a friend gay because he said that another boy was handsome is because he *is* gay (that's a very gay thing to say). If it's a shoe, call it a shoe.

Homophobia (the fear of *homosexuality* [not homosexuals]) needs to be properly differentiated from "the hatred or distain of *homosexuality*"
It's rarely, if ever, a case of fear or lack of understanding.
Guest   Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 pm GMT
If a man says that a woman is pretty you don't call him heterosexual,so yes, it is homophobia to call a friend gay just because he said that another man is "handsome".
guest   Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:23 pm GMT
<<If a man says that a woman is pretty you don't call him heterosexual,so yes, it is homophobia to call a friend gay just because he said that another man is "handsome". >>

As stated above in previous posts, ****you cannot make analogous comparisons with regards to male:female sexuality***.
What women can do and not do vs. what men can do and not do does not matter. You are just going to have to accept that there are different standards.

Do women get to sleep around with several younger men and not be called names or be thought of in a certain light? (I'm not defending the injustice, I'm just stating it exists.) No. They will be looked down upon.

Read the rule-book of life before you start crying about why someone said you were gay.