How many words are there for gay in English?

Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:05 am GMT
Another word is "bent"
Lo   Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:14 am GMT
Omg why are these people obsessed with words to label gays?
Seriously, this is like the fourth time I've seen a thread like this and I haven't been here for all that long.

<< Guetto vocabulary is not worse than bourgeois vocabulary. These are legitimate English words like any other and it's always welcome to know new ones. >>

Guest: it's ghetto to begin with. Secondly, as you may or may not have read the rules, they state this forum isn't to learn definitions of words and synonyms as this is the case. There are these little things named "dictionaries" and "thesauri"? Some people call these last ones "thesauruses"? Have you heard of these? Yeah, they help you out with these things.
It baffles me the fact that someone would even pull out that social class crap to validate a thread that's obviously aiming to disrespect people.
Russconha   Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
Some from the UK

turd stabber, limp wristed, to bat for the other side, meat eater, poof, knob jockey, bum lover,.

I'm gay, and I don't mind being called these things, I call all my bum loving friends by these names. If you are not gay and this offends you, lighten up and stop being over liberal. If you are gay and you are offended by this, lighten up and stop being over liberal.
Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:33 pm GMT
<Damian in Perth - How many words or expressions, nice or nasty, can you cook up to describe black people? The Americans? The British? People with physical or mental disabilities? Women?>

You missed out Aussies
guest   Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:17 pm GMT
fruit-loops, tooty fruities
pansy
femmy
receiver
catcher
[cum-]catcher
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:45 pm GMT
***You missed out Aussies***

The Aussies are a category all on their own, and besides, we have our own ways here in the UK of "slagging off" and taking the piss out of our Antipodean mates - face to face over the bar at many of our local pubs.

From what I can see, both here in Edinburgh, and much, much more so down in London, there is a plethora of Aussies working as bar staff in our pubs and hotels and what have you. For all their fames Pommie bashing they all seem to want to come here and obtain (limited period) work permits. The "limited period" condition really pisses them off big time - even though they are Commonwealth citizens they think they are treated as "aliens" in the UK and have to pass through strict immigration controls on entry, and can only stay for a set time, while everyone from all the 24 EU countries outside of the UK can come and go as they please at will, more or less stay as long as they like so long as they can support themselves financially and a fair number of them may not have a single word of the English Language to speak of, while the Aussies at least speak English - sort of. :-)

So that's how we "get at" those guys from Down Under.
Guest   Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:07 pm GMT
Why is the Australian accent so unpleasant to hear?
Russconha   Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:31 pm GMT
<Why is the Australian accent so unpleasant to hear?>

It's because they raise the innotation of every last word of a sentence, making everything they say sound like a question.

Oh yeah, forgot, 'bum bandit'
Guest   Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:49 pm GMT
Is it unpleasant? I never noticed. I like most accents in English except some accents (not all) from Massachusetts. I confess that I do not like the way that Edward Kennedy speaks. It's not his fault, just my opinion of that accent (imitated on the Simpsons too).

Oh, and I hate it when anyone adds an "r" to "idea" or says "ideal" for "idea"

Okay. That's my big confession.