French & Italian...! How many years...?

Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:52 pm GMT
<<People hear that "Spanish" is easy and it is (compared to Mandarin, lol, for westerners), but it's not so easy>>
Spanish is easy and english is difficult . See how the girl in the video can only say three or four phrases in english after six months of study. Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0nDx5W_SaQ&feature=related
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
Are you joking? English is much easier than everything else. It has no conjugations , specially the subjunctive mood , no grammatical genders, it lacks two verbs for to be like Spanish has which is very tricky because there are no rules about when to use each one. In English you don't have to worry for example about making the adjective to agree with the noun it modifies in gender and number... Those features are mental processes that you have to do in order to speak Spanish and you avoid in English. To speak English you have to put words together , to add the third person -s and that's all. Even a retarded monkey could speak English quickly.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:22 pm GMT
For example , even a trivial sentence in English like "I'm ill" is not that easy in Spanish since "Yo soy enfermo" is wrong, you have to use estar instead, not ser.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:33 pm GMT
In Portuguese, there are similar verbs (like ser and estar). If you use the verb which is similar to estar, then it means that the person is sick for the time being. If you use the verb which is like ser, then you are saying that the person is "sickly".
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
A lady from a Slavic country seemed to indicate to me that English wasn't much of a language because of our simple conjugations. On the other hand English is no piece of cake for her to speak. She speaks it with great hesitation.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:57 pm GMT
<<For example , even a trivial sentence in English like "I'm ill" is not that easy in Spanish since "Yo soy enfermo" is wrong, you have to use estar instead, not ser. >>
Pues claro jodido, because if you 'estas enfermo' you can't say 'eres un enfermo' which means something different.
Why do we also use 'tener' instead of 'ser/estar' to say 'tengo hambre' , well find it here:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Speaking-Spanish-To-Increase-Mind-Power&id=44586
<<Are you joking?>>
Yes , i am.
<<Even a retarded monkey could speak English quickly. >>
lol at least that lady in the video couldn't . However, ella es muy 'mona'.

<<English is much easier than everything else>>
That's true at the beginning but as you progress in its learning it becomes more complicated. For me,it's almost imposiblle to learn the infinite list of phrasal verbs with so many unrelated meanings.
prepositions are a nighmare . I'm never sure if i'm using : at,in,on correctly or not.
If i go to hospital -> the i'm going there to be admitted.
if i to to the hospital -> i go there to visit someone.
when i use it,he,she i add the -s to te bare verb correctly but when the subject is more complex i don't know if i have to add it or not
police can be plural or singular
to make complex sentences in english is a nightmare.
Modal verbs have 2345 different uses.
Sometimes i can't recall if i am writing well a word or not because i have to learn how it is written.
Many times when i see a new word in english i don't know how i must pronounce it.
You use words and phrasal verbs duplicated : from latin and anglo-xason origin .
etc,etc
Do you think a monkey(even a non-retarded one) can speak this language?
Voy yo y me lo creo.
Gues   Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
That's the point: Spanish is diffcult from the begining and as you progress it becomes even harder. At least you can construct basic English sentences without too much problem, but that is not the case with Spanish. Phrasal verbs are not that difficult, it's a question of learning them by heart, but the Spanish conjugations are trickier, as there are irregular verbs , subjunctive mood, etc.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:30 pm GMT
I doubt you could learn Italian in a month. There is no way to reach a high vocabulary in that time.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 pm GMT
<<the Spanish conjugations are trickier, as there are irregular verbs , subjunctive mood, etc. >>
I quite agree . Verbal system is very difficult in spanish and in all romances languages ,in general.
but if you're talking about tricky language , english beats .
For instance,
He got off it / He got it off. You would say the have the same meaning but they don't.
More:
* Get out of here / get out here
* She got it over / She got over it.
* He is a friend of my cousin's / he is one of my cousin's friends / He is my cousin's friend.
* at the end / in the end.
* what are you doing? / what are you making?
* You must ask him for it / you must ask him about it.
* he is no friend of mine / he is not a friend of mine.
* do no eat fast / do no eat. Fast.
* noun+noun+noun+noun

I'm lost in translation. But this is only a tiny part of the difficulties a english learner find while learning it.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:59 pm GMT
Do no eat fast? Do no eat? These aren't standard. They sound like pidgin English. The other examples are interesting, though.

Did you mean this? Do not eat fast. Do not eat. Fast.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:00 pm GMT
Those examples are nos specially tricky.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:06 pm GMT
Italian and Spanish is peanuts compared to English & French.
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:08 pm GMT
not*
Guest   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
Do not eat fast. Do not eat. Fast.
No comas rápido. No comas. Rápido.

LOL! ¡Qué ejemplo más estúpido!
Rolando   Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:15 pm GMT
All I wanted was a damn percentage on how long it take for someone who speaks Spanish to learn another romance language... I would at least be happy reading and writing French.

Theres no need to be so damn rude...