Italian & Portugese Lexical Similarities

Rolando   Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:34 am GMT
All the Romace langauages are similiar to a certain percent, expect for Italian and Portugese

What is their lexical similaritie
Guest   Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:54 am GMT
How are italian and portuguese not similar?
Rolando   Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:01 am GMT
According to soooo many lexical similarities charts italian and portugese have this as a percentage - a Minus.
Loris   Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 am GMT
And that's one of the main reasons why the phonetics of Portuguese is so diferent in Brazil and in Portugal : massive italian immigration from 1890 influenced heavily the way Portuguese is spoken in Brazil.
Rolando   Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:05 pm GMT
So what you are saying is that Italian loan words to Brazilian Portugese...? Intresting
Guest   Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:14 pm GMT
What's up with this? Read the Lexical Similarities Answered Thread. Of course, Portuguese and Italian have lexical similarities. Tell you what, send me check for 100 dollars and I'll type up a list. No wait! Then I won't be anonymous.
guest   Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:22 pm GMT
<<According to soooo many lexical similarities charts italian and portugese have this as a percentage - a Minus. >>

I think the " - " symbol means N/A yeah?
Guest   Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:42 pm GMT
"And that's one of the main reasons why the phonetics of Portuguese is so diferent in Brazil and in Portugal : massive italian immigration from 1890 influenced heavily the way Portuguese is spoken in Brazil."

Someone recognized this fact at last in this forum!!!
Italians and their language have influenced Brazilian Portuguese very significantly. Some dialects (i.e. Paulistano) have been "corrupted" or "enriched" (depends on the point of view) to such an extent by Italian and Spanish phonetics and vocabulary, that they no longer sound portuguese at all for non-native speakers of the language. Furthermore most dialects of Brazilian Portuguese exhibit a strong influence of French pronunciation, which makes them sound so artificial and exaggerated. A few others have developed into weird-sounding variants because of the introduction of the American English r, e.g. the letter r before a consonant is pronouced like an American English r.
One must recognize the great effort of the Brazilian people to disguise the portuguese language in order to make it sound as different as possible from European Portuguese. No wonder that they no longer understand a simple sentence spoken in European Portuguese.
Milton   Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:48 pm GMT
''So what you are saying is that Italian loan words to Brazilian Portugese...?''

pedágio ''toll'' (Continental Portuguese uses: portagem)
paúra ''fear'' (Used in São Paulo, and entered in the Houaiss Dictionary)
topolino ''little pet mouse''
pizza (Continental Portuguese uses: piza)

and so on...
Brazilian soap operas glorifying Italian immigration (like Terra Nostra or Terra Speranza) introduced the expression ''È vero'' which became popular and it's now universally used in Brazil. (É vero.)
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:51 pm GMT
"Furthermore most dialects of Brazilian Portuguese exhibit a strong influence of French pronunciation"

How come? There was virtually zero French immigration in Latin America.
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:04 pm GMT
How come? There was virtually zero French immigration in Latin America.

Really? Then where surnames such as Pinochet, Bachelet, etc, come from?
JGreco   Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:59 pm GMT
"How come? There was virtually zero French immigration in Latin America.

Really? Then where surnames such as Pinochet, Bachelet, etc, come from?"

Those are Catalan spellings There was a pretty good immigration in the beginning of the 20th century from Catalonia to Latin America. I even have a last name on my mothers side " Batxelell". I never understood the spelling until I read a grammar book in Catalan.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:14 am GMT
Pinochet and Bachelet have French ancestry. Also Gardel,the famous Argentinian singer was a French migrant.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:19 am GMT
Amazing! The lengths French fanatics will go to! It is the most common of common knowledge Pinochet and Bachelet have French roots.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:52 am GMT
"Furthermore most dialects of Brazilian Portuguese exhibit a strong influence of French pronunciation, which makes them sound so artificial and exaggerated..."

If you read my posting carefully you must realize I did not mean that the strong influence of French pronunciation on Brazilian Portuguese comes from a significant French immigration to Brazil. Rather it comes from imitation/introduction of French Phonetics into Portuguese by Brazilians themselves, in order to make their language sound as different as possible from European Portuguese. And this is the reason why I wrote that many dialects of Brazilian Portuguese sound so artifical and exaggerated. They did not develop spontaneously but they are the result of a purposeful disguisement of Portuguese. This process of disguising their language continues nowadays, with the difference that Brazilians now use other languages, e.g. Italian and Spanish, for that purpose. Specially Spanish is considered cool and stylish in Brazil nowadays and many Brazilians are very fond of it.
These are the main reasons why the language spoken in Brazil differs so much from European Portuguese. Most Brazilians reject and condem everything coming from Portugal and the Portuguese. And this is very sad, since a significant proportion of Brazilians have undeniable portuguese ancestry. Those Brazilians/Lusobrazilians conducting such campaigns against Portuguese heritage and contribution to the formation of Brazil are not only denying their past but also denying themselves. They should at least not segregate those Lusobrazilians wishing to recognize and investigate their portuguese past and part.