This is stupid.
Brennus *   Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:20 am GMT
Antimoon is not a site for chatting and ranting
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:26 pm GMT
Brazillian is close to any language but Portuguese

A gentchi num percebi eles não, aí é porque eles náo fala direito as vogal

Aí eles viero e levaro todo nosso ouro aí a gentchi hoji é pobrinho né
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:50 pm GMT
A gente num usa perceber em vez de entender.
We don't use PERCEBER for UNDERSTAND.
So, you revealed yourself as a Lusitano.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:25 am GMT
Extra, extra, read all about it...Portuguese soon to become the 7th official language of the United Nations.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:33 am GMT
<< A gente num usa perceber em vez de entender.
We don't use PERCEBER for UNDERSTAND.
So, you revealed yourself as a Lusitano. >>

And you reveal yourself as hispanic disguising as Brazilian.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:43 am GMT
Lusitano is a misleading term. Lusitania in ancient times also comprised chunks of Spanish territory like Extremadura, and Castilla and Leon . So an Spaniard can be also lusitano.
Jo   Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:20 pm GMT
Nowadays the word is used for a race of horses.
Guest   Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:15 pm GMT
<<Extra, extra, read all about it...Portuguese soon to become the 7th official language of the United Nations.>>

do you have proof? I'm so sorry but this will not happen. I don't understand the obsession of some people to make the Portuguese official at the UNO. I know that this obsession comes from Brazil where some politicians dream with Portuguese in UNO but I repeat that this will never happen. There are languages much more important than Portuguese as german, japanese, hindi, bengali, Italian, swahili, cantonese, turkish, persian or Indonesian. Moreover is impossible to put into another language romance because there are two, French and Spanish
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm GMT
<<There are languages much more important than Portuguese as german, japanese, hindi, bengali, Italian, swahili, cantonese, turkish, persian or Indonesian.>>

You are a very funny person. Thank you for giving me a good laugh ;-)
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:39 pm GMT
Ojala estuviera equivocada, no me digas no
Vilella   Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:05 pm GMT
Variation and change in Brazilian Portuguese syntax: three related phenomena

Most dialects in Brazilian Portuguese exhibit evidence of an on-going loss of the properties of the null subject (NS) parameter, namely loss of the “avoid pronoun” principle and subject verb inversion (cf. Duarte 1995). Connected with this change, there is also the
loss of movement of the clitics to the pre-auxiliary position, resulting in generalized proclisis to the main verb (cf. Cyrino, 1993), with the consequence that these dialects now allow clitics in sentence initial position. The changes are attributed to the loss of the second
person tu, a fact that led to the impoverishment of its inflectional system.
In this paper we investigate a different dialect, from the south of Brazil
(Florianópolis), which, in contrast to the other dialects studied, retained the pronoun tu, preserving intact the inflectional paradigm. Previous studies on word order in this dialect
have shown, however, a decrease of VS order, and a clear preference for overt pronouns, like in the other dialects (Coelho, 2000).
The aim of this paper is to investigate whether the variable behavior of subject/verb inversion in Brazilian Portuguese spoken in Florianópolis (FBP) is related a) to the increasing tendency to place clitic complements in pre-verbal position; b) to the fact that
VS with transitive verbs is still possible if the complement is a clitic and is in pre-verbal position (as in “Me impressionou o filme” – me-cl impressed the movie - ‘The movie impressed me’); or c) to the increase in the preference for overt subject pronouns, despite
the retention of tu.
Our hypothesis is that the changes that have been occurring in both types of dialects have not to do with a change in the Null Subject Parameter, but with a restriction to the V1
(verb initial) word order, proposed in Kato and Duarte (2005). In accordance with those authors, we analyze the *V1 constraint as a prosodic/rhythmic phenomenon

http://www.ling.ohio-state.edu/NWAV/Abstracts/Papr191.pdf
michael farris   Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:08 pm GMT
The problem is that AFAIK the spelling is the smallest difference between Brazil and Portugal.

The phonology, morphology and syntax are all pretty divergent (with no signs that I know of that Portugal is moving toward Brazilian usage).
And the Brazilian situation is fairly diglossic, if standard written Brazilian were closer to the way people actually speak it would pretty much have to be declared a separate language.

michael farris, maf@amnu.edlu.pl