"He is one the greatest artists." Is this phrase c

Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:07 pm GMT
I found such a phrase on the web but thought that it was a typo of "... one of the greatest ...". However, when I googled I hit so many such phrases and I now suspect that this is an accepted expression. But this is not written in any English dictionaries I have around. Would somebody please enlighten me on this issue? (I'm not a native English speaker)
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:36 pm GMT
In the US, it sounds strange to me. Perhaps it's OK in some dialects, though.
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:50 pm GMT
As English is the most used language in the internet, and lots of people all over the world use it writing in English, not just native speakers, you may expect high hit rates for certain (common) kinds of mistakes like forgetting a preposition.
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:09 pm GMT
Thanks for your rapid responses. I'm not so sure, however, because this kind of "mistakes" appears so often even in rather official sources apparently from native English speakers. Can I understand that this is not an acceptable English? BTW, I'm sorry that the title was truncated. It should have been "Is this phrase correct?".
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:32 pm GMT
<<Can I understand that this is not an acceptable English?>>

It's not typical of upstate New York English. It sounds wrong to me. I can't speak for other regions and dialects, however.
Johnny   Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:36 pm GMT
The internet is full of typos. It is also full of non-native speakers writing in English (really a lot). Google results can only reflect the content of the net with all its typos and odd English. This kind of English is extremely common on the net, but just because it's common doesn't mean it's natural: "Download file then open it with click. If not work, there is problem."

I am a non-native speaker, but I would say "one of the greatest" :)
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:49 pm GMT
It is incorrect.
Lo   Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:27 pm GMT
Well, I don't know about all of the other people who replied here, but I'm a native speaker and I wouldn't doubt saying "he's one of the greatest."
Actually, I doubted when I saw all those people saying it's wrong so I googled "one of the greatest" and I came across with articles in the New York Post that have such formation, so yeah, I think it's pretty correct.
Guest   Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
Lo, Lo, Lo...
Johnny   Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:05 pm GMT
<<<Actually, I doubted when I saw all those people saying it's wrong so I googled "one of the greatest"...>>>

Lol, all the others said "he's one the greatest" is wrong, not "one of the greatest". In other words, it sounds wrong without "of", which is what I think you think too. :)
Lo   Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:10 am GMT
ooohhhhh oops! lol
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:33 am GMT
<<Well, I don't know about all of the other people who replied here, but I'm a native speaker and I wouldn't doubt saying "he's one of the greatest."
Actually, I doubted when I saw all those people saying it's wrong so I googled "one of the greatest" and I came across with articles in the New York Post that have such formation, so yeah, I think it's pretty correct. >>

Here's an interesting sample of writing from a native speaker that illustrates the diversity of constructions permitted in other dialects.

Around here (upstate NY), phrases such as ""I doubted when I saw", "I came across with articles", and "that have such formation" are atypical at best, and would be frowned upon by some prescriptivists. No doubt some of the phrases I write as a native speaker are also "wrong" in other dialects of English.
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:04 am GMT
Around here in California, those phrases would be seen as a little off as well.
Russconha   Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:52 am GMT
A an Englishman who speaks the Queen's English, I would say that statement is fine.
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:17 pm GMT
"He is one the greatest artists." is the Queen's English. LOL. You must kidding.