Canadian slang

Mikka   Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:11 am GMT
I'm about to move to Canada pretty soon (Ontario to be exact) and I figured it would be better coming preperd since my English sucks as it is...I used to live in the US for 2 years and I remmeber americans always ditching Canadian for saying "eh?" alot and "aboot" insted of "about" and something about Maypel syroup? I've met Canadians before, but if they hadn't told me I proabably would have countinued thinking they're americans..I just don't see the difference or maybe that's just because I'm not a native English speaker?...
Mike   Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:37 am GMT
I remembered been abused by some Americans who HAPPENED to be on CANADIAN soil calling us 'liberal tree humping hippies'.

LOL actually I found it amusing considering I think of them as 'Conservative tree hater rednecks.'

This thing about our pronuncation of certain words to me is like comparing to two brothers playing. We are like brothers at times we can humour ourselves making fun of eachother and other times we can be protective of one another when one of us is down.
Uriel   Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:42 pm GMT
<<I remmeber americans always ditching Canadian for saying "eh?" alot and "aboot" insted of "about" and something about Maypel syroup?>>

Well, as Joanne said once, sterotypes don't perpetuate themselves!

The "eh" and "aboot" jokes are just that -- general stereotypes about the way Canadians talk. They are not realy valid for all Canadians, any more than characterizing all American accents as some sort of backwoods Kentucky drawl.

As Mike pointed out, it is incumbent upon us as Americans and Canadians to verbally abuse each other, and since our accents ARE so similar as to be virtually indistinguishable, we have to latch onto ANY differences we can find, no matter how trivial -- but it's mostly in fun!
Haven   Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:51 pm GMT
I live only 5 mins from the Canadian border and when we pop over to the Canadian or they pop pver to our side we don't even notice any different in pronuncation. The only thing you will notice is those amusing signs as you drive into Canada 'ThinKMetric' and other signs like 'Centre', etc.
Kenna D   Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:54 pm GMT
toronto slang:
gino = boy who listens to eurodance music
gina = girl who listens to eurodance music
Frances   Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:25 pm GMT
Gino is not strictly Canadian. I've heard that used in Australia too as well as "Marios".
Travis   Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:30 pm GMT
As for "aboot", that is just a very bad stereotypical rendering of the effect of Canadian Raising upon the diphthong phoneme /aU/. Note that "aboot" is written as if it is supposed to be raised as [u], whereas in reality it is really [VU] or [@U], both of which are very different from [u].
Brennus   Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:55 pm GMT
Canada doesn't really have too much of its own slang although they can be credited with 'skidoo' (originally a brand name) for "snowmobile." However, it's obvious from watching Canadian television that most of their slang is of U.S. origin, especially California.

(I was surprised during my first visits to British Columbia in the early 1970's how many British Columbians were fond of California and even claimed to have relatives living there. I've also read reports about how many people in Western Canada feel closer to western U.S. Cities like Denver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles (Honolulu?) than they do to eastern Canadian cities like Toronto, Ottowa and Montreal).
Brennus   Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:58 pm GMT
Ottowa > Ottawa
Kirk   Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:47 am GMT
<<I was surprised during my first visits to British Columbia in the early 1970's how many British Columbians were fond of California and even claimed to have relatives living there.>>

Well, that's interesting. It's kind of the reverse for me--I'm a Californian who's fond of British Columbia and I have relatives there :)

<<I've also read reports about how many people in Western Canada feel closer to western U.S. Cities like Denver, Las Vegas and Los Angeles (Honolulu?) than they do to eastern Canadian cities like Toronto, Ottowa and Montreal).>>

I understand that. I feel culturally and geographically closer to Vancouver than to, say Philadelphia or New York, which are two places I've never been. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest and have relatives in BC, so add that to the cultural similarities along the Pacific West Coast and it makes sense.
Red n White   Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:43 am GMT
Zeen- ya nah mean
Custy or Bucket- druggy
Mossn - hangn out
Bun Ting - smoke a joint
Red n White   Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:46 am GMT
Ya der is alot of American Slang influence zeen but ya reach Canada Specifically Ontario T dot Scarbz B town u no watz good
K. T.   Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:14 am GMT
"They are not realy valid for all Canadians, any more than characterizing all American accents as some sort of backwoods Kentucky drawl."

Most "backwoods" people I've heard have a twang, not a drawl. You must be from the north, Uriel.
Guest   Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:01 pm GMT
>> Most "backwoods" people I've heard have a twang, not a drawl. You must be from the north, Uriel. <<

Actually she's from the West. New Mexico to be precise.
Travis   Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
Just what do you guys mean by "twang" and "drawl" here, really?