Italian in Argentina

Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:12 am GMT
The Italians in Argentina are like the Italians in the USA. Very few still speak Italian.
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:00 pm GMT
<< ASPETTARE PER LA REPUBBLICA DI ARGENTINA CON L'ITALIANO COME LA SUA LINGUA UFFICIAL E NAZIONAL. >>

Je suis d'accord and French language and culture is taking over in Chile. See that country chose French descent leaders rather than a hispanic ones because they find hispanics inefficent and incompetent leaders that will lead them to poverty.

Chileans are the most non-conformist of all hispanics and you can easily notice it in their peculiar Spanish speech.
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:15 pm GMT
"If so, what are the two countries? Colombia and Peru? Mexico and Ecuador? Bolivia and Guatemala? I thought that any of those (or at least many regions in those countries), pronounces all the letters, as well as northern and central Spain."

>Peruvians don't pronounce all the letters, neither Bolivians nor Ecuadorians or Guatemalans.
Bakar Brennus   Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:11 am GMT
The Argentine accent of Spanish is a reminiscent of Italian. Especially when it comes to the intonation.
The SH sound in Argentine Spansh also makes it sound closer to Italian.
Guest   Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:34 pm GMT
>Peruvians don't pronounce all the letters, neither Bolivians nor Ecuadorians or Guatemalans.

So does that mean that Colombians, Mexicans, and north and central Spaiards do pronounce all the letters? And are they the only ones?
Guest   Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
"So does that mean that Colombians, Mexicans, and north and central Spaiards do pronounce all the letters? And are they the only ones?"

>Basically yes, but even the Central and South Americans who want to pronounce all of them don't do it because they would sound weird.
Alfredo   Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:51 pm GMT
We have a small language that is overwhelmed by Spanish. But our language is far more beautiful than Spanish. Also, anyone in the arts learns Italian, not Spanish. Even Spaniards have to learn Italian to read music or sing opera.
Guest   Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:42 am GMT
As soon as someone mentions a language being 'beautiful' their argument is necessarily invalidated.
Guest   Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:42 am GMT
<< We have a small language that is overwhelmed by Spanish. But our language is far more beautiful than Spanish. Also, anyone in the arts learns Italian, not Spanish. Even Spaniards have to learn Italian to read music or sing opera. >>

Si e Io sono d'accordo.
Guest   Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:49 am GMT
<< We have a small language that is overwhelmed by Spanish. But our language is far more beautiful than Spanish. Also, anyone in the arts learns Italian, not Spanish. Even Spaniards have to learn Italian to read music or sing opera. >>

Si e Io sono d'accordo. Come Placido Domingo, Jose Carreras, Julio Iglesias etc.
greg   Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:13 am GMT
'Guest' : « I'm Spanish an I pronounce all the S's. The Argentinians are not the ones who drop more S's either. It's the Cubans. »

En Andalousie, j'ai remarqué que pas mal de castillanophones élidaient le /s/ positionné en finale comme marqueur du pluriel (comme en provençal et en français).
K. T.   Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:13 pm GMT
It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that it is necessary to learn Italian to learn music. Believe it or not some countries use their own terms instead of words like "largo".

Opera: Generally speaking, yes, all opera singers should learn to pronounce Italian. Of course stage directors would be wise to learn this as well. Anyone who is going to be singing primarily Italian opera should learn Italian very well. Some people won't though-especially if their special area (or Fach) is German.

I like Italian very much. I also like Spanish and a lot of other languages.
I always see a lot of Italian language materials in bookstores, libraries and advertised in magazines. That says something to me. Even if it is not widely taught in schools, there seem to be many people who like it well enough to study it on their own.
Guest   Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:11 pm GMT
How many opera singers are there though?
K. T.   Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:54 pm GMT
More than you think, probably if you consider the comprimarios and the choristers and amateur singers in the following countries.

US (many cities)
Argentina
GB
Italy
Germany
Russia
France
Japan (largely enthusiasts)
Mexico
Australia
Guest   Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:58 pm GMT
I mean, as a subset of the population. Sure, lots listen to opera, I do too, but how many people sing it? C'mon. That's pretty esoteric, not a reason for the average person to learn Italian.

An analogy. Lots of literature in Chemical Engineering has been written in German, some really classic texts. So you all ought to learn German....

Well, I'm sure there are more chemical engineers out there than opera singers.