moving to poland, which language to learn?

Alicja   Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
Hello, I am a native English speaker and I am moving to Poland at the end of the summer. I am moving to Lublin a city near the border of Ukraine. I know many Ukrainians speak Russian. I will be living in Poland for about 2 years, and then I'm not sure where the road will take me. Can anyone tell me which language would benefit me the most...in the long run? Polish, Ukrainian, or Russian? Thank you. I also speak Spanish, (not like that matters with Slavic languages)
Mariusz Pudzianowski   Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am GMT
If you move to Poland it makes sense to learn Polish. Russian is no longer an important language since the Cold War. Russian ties with Europe are very weak, and economically dead, except oil. To travel to Russia, every foreigner needs a visa.

Nobody in Poland learns Russian today, but German, English and French. Unless you want to have a chat with the older commies and some other brigadiers. And besides that nobody in Eastern Europe loves Russia, and you know why! Ukrainian ? Well the Russians - don't even recognize it as a language, rather as a dialect. Same Moldovan-Romanian issue.

Remember that Polish is one of the most difficult languages to learn with a grammar as complicated as English and Spanish combined. But it makes more sense to learn an official EU language, than to be able to recite Pushkin.
Guest   Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:29 am GMT
Even knowing Spanish will help because it's an IE language and you already understand what it means to conjugate a verb and you have the experience of another language.

Polish has the latin alphabet too, so hey! get what you can. You can move on to Russian later. Polish and Russian are fairly close, but not as close as Ukrainian and Russian. Still, if you learn Polish, I don't think it will be hard to pick up Russian later.

Verdict: Learn Polish
Guest   Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:36 am GMT
Mariusz Pudzianowski,

While I agree that Polish is the better choice, I was a little taken aback by your comment about Pushkin.
Guest   Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:56 am GMT
Learn Russian, the new language of Eastern Europe.
Skippy   Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:32 am GMT
Polish. My understand is that, as far as languages go, Poland is one of the most linguistically homogeneous nations in Europe.
Mariusz Pudzianowski   Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:24 pm GMT
"While I agree that Polish is the better choice, I was a little taken aback by your comment about Pushkin."

Dont get me wrong, I personally love the Russian literature and classical music, very rich and original. We studied Russian culture in school, from Rachmaninoff to Sergei Prokofiev, the composer of the ballet "Romeo and Juliet"

But we are talking about "which language would benefit me the most" so in that case I recommended Polish. Russia needs to learn from Europe not to compete with Europe...
Guest   Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:18 am GMT
Russia doesn't compete with Europe. You don't compete with something you own, you exercise your right to authority.
Tomek   Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:34 am GMT
Hello! I am a native English speaker just like you and am also moving to Poland over the summer. I will be studying at the Jagiellonian University in Krakow. I already speak Polish fluently and even though it was somewhat difficult to learn; with your knowledge of complicated English grammar and your knowledge of Spanish accenting (rolling r's for example) you should be able to master Polish very quickly. Besides, lets be real, if you are going to be living in Poland for two years its only logical to learn Polish ;)
ha   Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:44 pm GMT
Polish and Russian is mutually inteligable in great extent!!! As I learned Russian for 5 years, I can quite well understand written and even spoken Polish!

Russians aun Polish people are brothers, but Polish hate Russians.

Peace!
Politic Igor   Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_All people from occident are ASSHOLE_