How u pronounce "salad"?

nick   Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:19 am GMT
I check www.webster.com, the first "a" in " salad" has same pronounciation with "a" in "sad", but they don't sound same to me. I think "a" in "salad" sounds similar to "a" in "father". Or please give another word have the same "a" sound with "a" in "salad".
Uriel   Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:41 am GMT
Your dictionary is right; it's a short A as in sad, bad, man, or cat. Nobody uses the same A as in father for "salad". Salad rhymes with ballad.
Lo   Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:08 pm GMT
Salad sounds like /sal@d/ to me, like sad, bad and cat.
Man sounds /mE@n/.
And father sounds /fAD@'/

SoCal
Ekaci   Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:34 pm GMT
To me,
'Salad' sounds /"s{l.@d/.
'Man' sounds /m{n/.
'Father' sounds /"fA:.D@/.

Lo,
'Sad' sounds like /sad/ to you? And 'man' sounds /mE@n/?
Then, doesn't 'sad' rhyme with 'man'?
Travis   Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:56 pm GMT
>>Lo,
Then, doesn't 'sad' rhyme with 'man'?<<

This is likely allophonic diphthongization of /æ/ before /n/ in the case of "man", which is relatively common in North Americah English dialects which *do not* have the NCVS, and which is often found in Californian English. On the other hand, the /a/ in "salad" is likely due to lowering of non-diphthongized /æ/ due to the California Vowel Shift.
Travis   Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:25 pm GMT
>>Lo,
Then, doesn't 'sad' rhyme with 'man'?<<

This is likely allophonic diphthongization of /æ/ before /n/ in the case of "man", which is relatively common in North Americah English dialects which *do not* have the NCVS, and which is often found in Californian English. On the other hand, the /a/ in "salad" is likely due to lowering of non-diphthongized /æ/ due to the California Vowel Shift.
Ekaci   Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
I see. Thank you, Travis.
But, I've got a question. In what situations is /{/ (near-open front unrounded vowel) diphthongized? Only before nasals? Like man/mE@n/, Sam/sE@m/, gang/gE@N/?
Travis   Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:45 pm GMT
I should note that in the NCVS, on the other hand, it is diphthongized or simply raised globally (which is why I did not include such as being allophonic diphthongization of /æ/, even if such diphthongization does not always happen). For instance, in the dialect here, this alternation between a wide range of forms, with the most common unstressed form being [ɛ̞] (or more progressively [ɛ]) but with a range of diphthongal realizations appearing, particularly when stressed, such as [ɛ̯æ], [e̯æ], [i̯æ], [i̯ɛ̞], and [ɛɜ̯] showing up here but forms like [ɛ̯ə], [e̯ə], and [i̯ə] also showing up in some other NCVS-affected dialects.
Ekaci   Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:39 am GMT
<<In mine (Ottawa, Canada) it's diphthongized before nasals and /g/:

_/n, m/>[E{_"]
_/N/>[E1] or [eI] (!= /e:/)
_/g/>[{I] >>

So, 'tag' is pronounced [t{Ig]?

Well, does everyone can see IPA? It seems my computer has got a problem showing IPA. That's why I'm using X-SAMPA.
Travis   Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:29 pm GMT
Okay, I'll repost my previous post using X-SAMPA rather than IPA. In tend to prefer IPA these days simply because things like heavy use of diacritics is generally much uglier and unwieldy in X-SAMPA than IPA:

>>I should note that in the NCVS, on the other hand, it is diphthongized or simply raised globally (which is why I did not include such as being allophonic diphthongization of /{/, even if such diphthongization does not always happen). For instance, in the dialect here, this alternation between a wide range of forms, with the most common unstressed form being [E_o] (or more progressively [E]) but with a range of diphthongal realizations appearing, particularly when stressed, such as [E_^{], [e_^{], [i_^{], [i_^E_o], and [E3_^̯] showing up here but forms like [E_^@], [e_^@], and [i_^@] also showing up in some other NCVS-affected dialects.<<
Lo   Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:42 pm GMT
>>I see. Thank you, Travis.
But, I've got a question. In what situations is /{/ (near-open front unrounded vowel) diphthongized? Only before nasals? Like man/mE@n/, Sam/sE@m/, gang/gE@N/?<<

Ekaci: to me gang doesn't rhyme with man and Sam, because of the ng (/N/ sound). Sam and man do sound like you described, however, gang sounds /gEN/.
Guest   Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
/{/ is lower in Californian English, and especially before /l/:

C/a/lifornia, C/a/lgary, s/a/lad
Ekaci   Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:52 pm GMT
<<Ekaci: to me gang doesn't rhyme with man and Sam, because of the ng (/N/ sound). Sam and man do sound like you described, however, gang sounds /gEN/. >>

I got it. Thanks for your explanation.

Ekaci
Travis   Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:35 pm GMT
>>Ekaci: to me gang doesn't rhyme with man and Sam, because of the ng (/N/ sound). Sam and man do sound like you described, however, gang sounds /gEN/.<<

This is likely due to a different shift that often shows up in many North American English dialects, which is the frozen sound change of historical /{/ to /e(I)/ or /E/ and often /E/ to /e(I)/ before certain consonants, particularly /N/ and in some dialects also /g/. My own dialect, for instance, has unconditionally shifted historical /{/ and /E/ to /e/ before /N/ (and many other Upper Midwestern dialects do the same before /g/, even though my own does not); the only word that has escaped that is incidentally "penguin", which I pronounce ["p_h3_+~:Ngw1~(:)(n)] rather than the expected ["p_he_o~:Ngw1~(:)(n)] which one would expect in the dialect here.