which accent is typical of a native Londoner?

Guest   Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:32 am GMT
Cockney, or Estuary accent?
Guest   Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:07 pm GMT
Lower class, working class, east London= Cockney
Upper class, middle class, educated people = Estuary accent

Its that simple, really. Even if you're a poor from east London, and have some more than basic education, and care about your image, you'll stop talking like a cockney redneck.
Guest   Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:20 pm GMT
I think a better explanation is needed

Lower class, working class, upper working class, East London and South East London nearer to the River Thames and some pockets of North London near the East End = Cockney accent with some slight differences from one another. This is gradually being replaced by what I call a new inner London urban accent.

Estuary= Kent, Essex, Home Counties,. Estuary is a working class accent in various forms spoken by 2nd and 3rd generation London exiles whose parents were originally from the working class areas of London. It is prevalent in the home counties in the parts near to London like Romford, Bromley etc.

Upper Class, middle class and educated people speak with class affiliated accents. It is not uncommon these days to hear educated people speak in Estuary or Cockney because they have studied hard and got good jobs

"Cockney Redneck"I thought a Redneck was an inhabitant of the Southern USA I might be wrong. I think the correct expression should be Cockney barrow boy or Cockney sparrow.