8 year-old Wendy Vo speaks 11 languages fluently

mikov   Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:44 pm GMT
Search for wendy vo on youtube.She is also a piano virtuoso and the a talented music composer.
PARISIEN   Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
Being a musician is a formidable asset for getting command of languages — since languages are also made of sounds, modes and tempo.
mikov   Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:26 pm GMT
A lot of people claim they know many languages but they offer no proof.I hope they will do what Wendy Vo did and demonstrate their language talent.
mikov   Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:56 pm GMT
By the way,Wendy Vo is even better at music.Go to showcaseyourmusic.com to listen to some songs she composed herself.I guess music and language are somehow connected.
Guest   Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:48 am GMT
Mikov,

I've seen her videos and thought about discussing her here, but since she's a child, I hesitated. I didn't want to open up her talents to too much scrutiny. I wish her the best.

Mikov and Parisien,

I think that musical people have distinct advantages in certain aspects of language acquisition (accent, for example) and musicians have the experience of doing things repeatedly, so the rote aspects of language may not bother them at all-they may find this part enjoyable.

I think people who are not so musical can still learn a second language, but in my limited experience with adults, I would say that it is a little tougher for them to sort out the sounds.

About multilinguals:
I think multilinguals are becoming more common even in my "monolingual" country, the US. Unless someone is bragging to get into record books or on TV, or posting an unbelievable number on a CV, it probably isn't necessary to get a sound record of their acheivements.

What's your experience with multilinguals? I rarely get the chance to check their credentials, but I have been able to hear a couple of well-known multilinguals who were speaking in languages I know well. I suspect, but cannot prove, that some multilinguals are very good in three languages, or four, then less impressive in others, but still conversant, so that makes them "fluent".
Guest   Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:21 am GMT
What are her translations skills?
Guest   Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:57 am GMT
She's a little girl...what do you expect of her?
Mikov   Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:32 pm GMT
Have you guys ever seen any little polyglots like Wendy Vo where you live or is she the only one in the world?
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:42 pm GMT
A lot of people claim they speak 10 or more languages but I really doubt it.For example,Farah Ziad claims he speaks 58 languages but when he was tested on a Chilean TV show,he couldn't understand simple sentences in Russian and Chinese.That is why it is important that claims be verified.Wendy Vo is no doubt the real deal and she proved it.I hope to see more real talents like her.Don't be shy.Show your skills.Inspire us!
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:06 pm GMT
I think ZF speaks at least five language-Arabic, English, Spanish, French, and Portuguese. I don't understand his performance unless he simply became confused and had to guess/bluff. Interesting guy, though.

I speak several of the languages that Wendy Vo demonstrates. I don't want to say too much. She is musical and she has a good ear.

What I noticed: In Spanish and Japanese she was asked very simple questions. These were age-appropriate questions and in Japanese, they were asked very slowly. Of course, sometimes teachers talk that way to learners and young children.

Example questions:

What's your name?
How many siblings do you have?
How many languages do you speak?
What is your favourite colour?
What do you want to be?

She seems to enjoy languages and is having fun. If her videos encourage parents to enroll their children in language classes, that will be a good result.
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:09 pm GMT
Sorry, yes, I have seen other little multilinguals in the world. I haven't met any that speak eleven, though. I have mixed feelings about sharing videos of children on Youtube, but if she has really been on "Ellen", then she isn't exactly a secret.
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:34 pm GMT
Mikov,
You aren't related to Wendy Vo, are you? I noticed that the letters of your name here are surprisingly similar to the letters of her contact on Youtube.
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:00 pm GMT
She may not be perfect yet but if she keeps it up she will be a REAL polyglot!
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:39 pm GMT
It ought to be noted though that it seems to me her English is the best of her foreign languages...so if you only understood the English, don't be thinking she speaks them all that well...
Guest   Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:45 pm GMT
I agree with the guest at 11:39. She is definitely better in English. How's her Vietnamese? I should listen to her in French.