French from France vs Quebec French (Canadian French)

Ren   Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:22 pm GMT
>>Dissagree with comparing Brazilian portagues and portagues from close together. Brazilian portaguese is more spanish influent. I'm hispanic living in Vancouver, BC, Canada and I understand Brazilian portagues then Then European portagues and i don't speak a work portagues

ugh I hate when these stupid hispanics speak shit they obviously do not understand. Brazilian Portuguese IS NOT spanish influenced!! Its actually the other way around where in many countries in South America, Portuguese is heavly influencing their spanish.
Salut   Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:38 pm GMT
The language is basically the same, but the Quebecois use some specific words that we can't understand.

The worst is not the language, it's the accent. It can be quite painful to hear quebecois speaking. The accent sounds bad for French people and sometimes if it's too heavy we won't understand.

There are some accents in France (Provence, Alsace, Nord) but the accent from Quebec is easily the heaviest, and added with the specific words it can be very different. The base stay the same and from what I have heard Quebecois can understand better France French that the contrary.

A lot of artists from Quebec succeed in France and can speak with less accent and a more tradionnial French.
underhung tungs?   Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:38 pm GMT
Apart from the land stolen off the Flemish (Nord) and Germans (Alsace & Lorraine) is there only the Provence accent in France!

Has a north European holidaying in France, the area around Marseille deffinately had an accent, and I think I detected some sort of weak accent somewhere in Aquitaine/Bordeaux areas. But what with so many parts of France's rim being made up other lands annexed from surrounding countries like Basque, Catalan, Brittany, Savoy, Corsica and the fore mentioned (Flemish and German areas) etc etc, I would of thought there would be more accents. Not like the backward levels of France's neighbour Italy, where every effing village seems to have it's own accent and dialect but nonetheless has France got less accents compared to little old England?

How many accents has the huge nation (landwise) like France got and how many accents is France left with if you discount Brittany, Flemish areas(Pas de Calais/Nord) Alsace and Lorraine, Savoy, Corsica, Catalanya and the Basque areas?
ti   Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm GMT
"The worst is not the language, it's the accent. It can be quite painful to hear quebecois speaking. The accent sounds bad for French people and sometimes if it's too heavy we won't understand. "

Quand les Francais parles, ca a l'air d'une tapette qui parle avec quelque chose coince dans le queue
Thor   Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:17 pm GMT
"How many accents has the huge nation (landwise) like France got and how many accents is France left with if you discount Brittany, Flemish areas(Pas de Calais/Nord) Alsace and Lorraine, Savoy, Corsica, Catalanya and the Basque areas? "

In fact, to my ears, i note only three zones of accents :
- southern accents (for a not southern french, it is difficult to distinguish the one of Toulouse and the one of Marseille). Very quick, and almost all the syllabes are pronunced, which gives them a submachine gun feature.
- eastern accents (from Lorraine to Savoy and Switzerland), which are heavier and slower than southern ones, variable intonations.
- northern accent : more restricted area, difficult to describe. They tend to end each phrase by rising the tone, like belgian, but without the "roaring" [r].

And the accents have nothing to do with the linguistic groups, but more with rurality or urbanity : you will find a lot of urban people of Britanny or Alsace without accent, and a lot of rural peasants of Jura or Picardy with a strong accent.
French Canadian   Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm GMT
French and Spanish are not cheap languages....you guys that think so are just hatin because you probably only speak one language and would like to speak more than one. Haters...(Rasputin) Shut the hell up there's just a large population of muslims moving to France because they are trying to have a better life and people who speak french are of all colors and...french is spoken in "Africa,Europe,North America,even South America and some islands...AND IS ONE OF THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGES OF THE UNITED NATIONS...Look it up before posting some stupid comments, amking you look like an idiot.
Color Blind NorthAm   Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:58 am GMT
<< The ovens won't be empty for long.
You dirty little Imperialist Francophone fascists.

KEEP CANADA WHITE!
DEPORT THE FRENCH MONKEYS!
(preferably into ovens) >>

Look who's talking. Actually, Anglo-America is no longer pure white. Lots of them are bi-racial, or even multi-racial. In US alone on can tell who's wholly and partially white. Many Americans and Anglo-Canadians are metis and would deny their Amerindian ancestry in fear of getting stereotyped unless they look more like an amerindian than European descents. Even in Australia and New Zealand, lots of them don't look white anymore.

Nowadays, lots of Yankees, Aussies, Canucks, and Kiwis are either half/quadroon/octoon non-whites or whites.

And if you're one of those HISPANICS who wrote the message above and is one of the French hater, then you're the one who's MONKEY AND HAS TO BE DEPORTED TO THE OVENS because hispanics are not whites but RED!
canadian girl   Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:07 pm GMT
My husband is french, from northern ontario. I studied french throughout high school, and could read novels, write essays etc. in french. I was not fluent, but could definitely hold a conversation in french. When I met my husband, I had a lot of trouble understanding his family when they spoke french. At first, I thought my french was just rusty- but then realized it is really just the accent. There are a lot of different pronounciations in quebec or northern ontario french. Unfortunately, we learn parisien french in school (don't ask me why, since we live in canada). When we travelled to france on our honeymoon, I found it much easier to understand the french. A couple people asked my husband if he was from Quebec, but no one had trouble understanding his french. It is the same language. There are different pronounciations and some different phrases/slang, but that goes for any language. I certainly may have some difficulty understanding something someone from the southern US with a strong accent may say, but it's not a separate language.
Kinglyburgh not Montreal   Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am GMT
<My husband is french, from northern ontario>

My husband is English, from western Quebec.

<There are a lot of different pronounciations in quebec or northern ontario french. Unfortunately>

Well thank fuck your husband is not English from Quebec, otherwise the Francophone spics wouldn't allow him the freedom to speak English.
Monterreal not Montreal   Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:38 am GMT
Canada will speak Spanish too.
canadian girl   Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 pm GMT
Wow. You people are so angry. Calm down!
South Korean   Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 pm GMT
This is Antimoon. One must learn to ignore trolls.
Rberto   Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:06 pm GMT
TU veux apprendre à parler Québécois ???
Do you want to learn how to speak canadian with a french accent ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVoYNobxCj4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUPQMCdq4Mk
BeGen   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:29 am GMT
<< Can I have your opinion (especially from francophones) on this interview in French with Jack Kerouac from the 1950s.

Kerouac grew up in Maine, the descendant of original Arcadian settlers there, and his parents spoke French in the home.

How 'Quebecquoise' is his French?
I notice that he slightly thrills his 'R-' (alveolar) as opposed to the more recent Metropole French gutteral 'r'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2aOSoRsoE >>

Since Jack Kerouac is mentioned here. Here's a video of David Amram who was close to Jack and talks about him.

David Amram talking about Jack Kerouac (in French)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wVk1_NAS3Q

David must have learned French because of Jack's huge influence on him.
Simple Guy From Quebec   Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 am GMT
Hi, I'm from quebec and I speak french.

I just want to clarify that it's not at all difficult for us (québécois) to understand the french people but I can say that they (french of france) lack the ability to understand us, saying that we never pronounce french correctly.

I've allready see some movies produced in France with Marseille and other places' accents and I clearly understand them all extremely easily.

It's a mystery as why they can't learn our french dialect as fast as we can learn the popular french of france. I guess they are using more appropriate terms of french and speak with a "standard" french and we are using more the "familiar" and "popular" way.

Here we learn to class french skills in 4 categories in school.

1st - Soutenu (supported) it's the french we are told to use when we write. It's the international way to write french

ex: "Nous venions d'éxûmer l'enveloppe charnel de l'évêque"

2nd - Standard, some author may write in this style to create certain feelings but otherwise, it's use mostly by teachers and other jobs backgrounds.

ex: "Je viens faire une soumission pour le chantier sur lequel vous travaillé!"

3rd - Familié (Familiar) you use it when you talk to someone like an adult and/or person that you know a lot. (I use this)

ex: "ouin faque chtallé chez eux hier soir pi le quand on cé lvé on a mangé des toasts"

4th and last, Populaire (Popular) it's the french that we use with our friends or people that we live with (siblings, parents, family, friends, neighboors) it's the typic quebec slang language where even I don't get it everytime :P (i'm from Montreal)

ex: "i su tu quel sava pas al maudi vérat!"