French from France vs Quebec French (Canadian French)

Baldewin   Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:30 pm GMT
<<What a stupid comment! >>

Your native Balloon French even differs more.

Anyway, il faut aussi lire le reste, Sherlock. ;-)
User99   Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:11 pm GMT
Well,
i am feeling that we are talking about two different languages.
quebecker and french.

i knew that these 2 idioms sounds different.
but like spoken norwegian and spoken swedish...
is a big fdifference.

norwegian/swedish
is really more than portuguese/spanish/english variants.
User99   Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:28 pm GMT
"It is also comparable to the distance between Croatian and Serbian, or spoken Norwegian and Swedish, or Czech and Slovak." -wikipedia

the shit is bigger than I thought.
the difference is even bigger than european and brazilian portuguese.
they could be two different languages.
i was told in some forums that quebeckish french is unintelligible for frenchs.
Please read   Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm GMT
"It is also comparable to the distance between Croatian and Serbian, or spoken Norwegian and Swedish, or Czech and Slovak"

Needless to say, this is extreme bullshit.
Written Canadian French is undistinguishable from European French (much less distance than between US and UK English), except for a few words describing North American features (for instance "orignal" instead of "élan", which is just like "moose" vs. "elk").
Only the most colloquial forms of the language may entail a problem of asymmetrical intelligibility. Parisian slang is fully understood in Quebec, but Quebec slangs are full of curses and profanities European speakers aren't familiar with.
Baldewin   Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:49 pm GMT
Québec is the sources of French purisms European French on their turn take over. They're very extreme in protecting their language.
Baldewin   Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:54 pm GMT
<<I was told in some forums that quebeckish french is unintelligible for frenchs>>

People on forum often exaggerate. In fact, I remember a British woman and an American man claiming they had problems with understanding each other's accent. You cannot conclude from this their languages are unintelligible to one another.
Franco   Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:00 pm GMT
Once I met a man from Puerto Rico in USA and at the begnining it didn't understand him well. It took me a few days to get used to his Spanish but after that I had no problem. I guess that it's the same in the case of Quebec French, that is, the lack of exposure of Parisian French speakers to the former variety. British and American English speakers are more exposed to each other than in the case of both French communities I think.
Guest-   Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:16 pm GMT
The differences between quebecker french and french french is the same of,eg, azores portuguese(quebec) vs brazilian portuguese(france).
The french here is trying to appease.But one conversation between these 2 is highly assymetrical,full of mistakes, and almost all that the last part says is "what?".

If u surf on the google,u will note that most french says that quebec french is almost unintelligible.
I myself studied french in france for 2 years and is impossible for me grab any quebec word.I never understand what quebecers say, even in a formal video,i cant.

Is easier to me talk in japanese,that is my third language.
Baldewin   Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:19 pm GMT
How high is your exposure to Quebecois French actually. I understand that woman in that cooking video very well and my French is far from good. I think you exaggerate just like many people also do on Flemish Dutch (on some forum two Anglo-Saxons claiming they're the expert and Dutch-speaking disagreeing they have problems understanding one another; clearly people with an agenda against Dutch, but everyone remained calm nonetheless).
Québecóis   Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:42 pm GMT
I understand all that those conards say.
But they cant understand me. :)

Everything what they say when come to canada is "quoi?".
Baldewin   Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:01 pm GMT
Until they live there for longer. ;-) I think that's the inheritance of a culture that doesn't accept diversity of accent so much (especially older people in France).
.   Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:27 pm GMT
"Québecóis"
"conards"

That frigging Hispanic fraud puts two French words in his message, with two blatant wrong spellings!

Beaner, loser.
TEAM WASP   Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:25 pm GMT
I want the Quebecois to be rounded up and sterilized and be replaced with whites from South Africa. Ship em off to sud America with their cousins.

Keep NORTH America NORTH European!
Lars Malmerbjornsson   Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:31 pm GMT
Why would Portuguese want to be considered alike to Eastern European semi-Mongoloids! Don't let your swarthiness get the better of you. My little swarthy Iberian friends.
PARISIEN   Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:39 pm GMT
<< Malmerbjornsson >>

-- Crasseux métèque hispanique, si tu veux te donner une identité scandinave, invente un nom plausible.

Celui-ci ne l'est pas.