French from France vs Quebec French (Canadian French)

voseo   Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 pm GMT
Vos is not the equivalent of usted in Argentinian Spanish.

Vos = Tu

Usted = Usted

LOL, we're talking about Spanish again!. Sorry but French is so irrelevant that it's inevitable to start talking about Spanish.
Rasputin   Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 pm GMT
"Differences between Canadian and European French are nowhere near as big as the distance between Spanish varieties (like 'vos' vs. 'usted'). "

"vos vs usted" is the regional variety of a country.
we are talking about the differences between 2 countries : quebec and france. and is bigger than this.
quebecer french is unintelligible for europeans french.
quebecer french is more nasal and more beautiful also.
Rasputin   Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:55 pm GMT
French is a cheap and popular language.surpassed maybe only by spanish.
Is only spoken by the french,haitians and those who die of hunger. so cheesy.
France is a black country.France is totally owned by the muslins and africans.
anyone who speaks French here in this forum must be seen as black.
Rasputin   Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 pm GMT
Spanish and French are the cheapest languages of the occident.
French a little more.
Pourquoi   Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:38 pm GMT
People from France (native French speakers) usually have a hard time understanding the québécois french at first because of really different accents and expressions. However you get used to it after a while. (It's the same for people from Quebec in France)

But It is the same grammar, so both are the same when written.
If you ask people to speak slowly you should understand québécois, but I think most people will notice the different accent and make an effort :)

I'm from quebec.I hope this help.
visiteur   Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:21 am GMT
Quebec French has 40 000 different words that don't exist in Parisian French,
South Korean   Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:08 pm GMT
Well, American English has many expression no longer used in the Old World.
"Last fall I was driving my sedan on a dirt road, I forgot to stop for gas, and my cell didn’t work. Leaving me with a helluva walk to drag my butt to the next gas station."
Can British people understand this? Of course, because they are exposed to American culture frequently. If one never watched American films or listened to American pop, one would have problem deciphering such phrase as some French do understanding Quebecker French.
Black   Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 pm GMT
Quebeckers would understand Parisian French better because the get expose more to the European version of French on television. On the other hand Parisians will have difficulty understanding Qubeck French because there is no French Canadain channels in Paris.
Guesto   Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:28 pm GMT
Who cares Quebec French. It is spoken only by 5 millons of people.
South Korean   Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:15 pm GMT
This is a linguistic forum where a dying dialect spoken by less than a thousand peasants are a perfectly valid topic.
greg   Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:28 pm GMT
Gosu : « English varieties , spanish varieties = small differences
Portuguese varieties = medium difference
French varieties = big difference ».

Tu pourrais détailler ce que tu entends par "différence", "petit", "moyen" et "grand" ? Puisque ça te paraît si clair, tu pourras sans doute nous donner des exemples convergents en matière de lexique, syntaxe, morphologie et phonologie, entre autres.
Thor   Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm GMT
I don't really understand the problem : french of Quebec is as different as french like amerian english is different as english of London. I don't think that some very rural peasants of southern USA are more understandable to english people than a rural "québecquois" to a french one.
BB   Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:14 pm GMT
There is huge differences in vocabulary + grammar and informal language is not mutually iunderstandable.

Stop comparing US English to UK English the differences is more than Portuguese vs Brazilian
GIRTHSHAFT   Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:00 pm GMT
South Korean
Well, American English has many expression no longer used in the Old World.
"Last fall I was driving my sedan on a dirt road, I forgot to stop for gas, and my cell didn’t work. Leaving me with a helluva walk to drag my butt to the next gas station."
Can British people understand this? Of course, because they are exposed to American culture frequently. If one never watched American films or listened to American pop, one would have problem deciphering such phrase as some French do understanding Quebecker French.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Bollocks.

fall
dirt road
hellofa
butt

Have never ever left oldworldish English.

The Yanker words cell and gas station are both gay.
Quebeker   Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 pm GMT
It's just different accents. Every Quebecois can understand about 99% of what a Parisien says, we just think they sound stuck up.