Which language sounds the worst??

Grease   Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:59 am GMT
Only Castilian Spanish and Romanian retain the original elegance and authority of Imperial Latin. Italian has its own charm and melodicity,but always feels like a language of no substance,almost like nothing serious could be stated in Italian.
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 pm GMT
Noooo!!! nothing serious! Just the "Divine Comedy" (to make an example above all) and 1000 years of outstanding culure, including literature, science, arts, music, opera and the language of many of the greatest genius appeared in the planet.
There are more artistic heritage in Tuscany only than in ALL Spain (Unesco data)
Spanish and Romanian are rubbish comparing to Italian. Are there something even comparable to the cultural level attained by Italian?
Tell me some famous Romanian or Spanish people. Tell me some famous Romanian poets or poetry comparable to Dante, Boccaccio, Petrarch, Leopardi etc. etc.
And just for talking Spanish is considered quite gross by many people.
Think twice before syaing such idiocies, grease....your brain
A-S   Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:26 pm GMT
Et nous?
On compte pour du beurre?

Les français sont réputés pour être un peuple très germanique... mais là vous faîtes confusion avec les FRANCS qui eux sont les envahisseurs germains de la Gaulle. À cet époque tous les gaulois étaient déjà romanisés.
Et vous oubliez des villes comme Nîmes (Nemausus), grande est imposante citée gallo-romaine, qui est l'une des plus ancienne cité romaine hors Italie.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N%C3%AEmes%2C_Centre_ville.jpg

Lyon (Lugdunum)
Marseille(grec Massilia) cité millénaire, phocéenne dans l'âme puisque grecque d'origine.
Et aussi: Forum Julii (Fréjus), Portus Veneris (Port-Vendres), Constantia (Coutances), Tabernae (Saverne), Trajectum (Utrecht) ou les grecques: Agatha (Agde), Nicaea (Nice)

<<Only Castilian Spanish and Romanian retain the original elegance and authority of Imperial Latin.>>

Tunisia was more romanised than Spain (Spain also was very influenced, but in the south part of the country only) or Rumania, for all that Tunisians don't speak a Romanic language (except French, which is a language of culture)
Grease   Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:14 pm GMT
For Christ's sake I was just talking about the sound of the language,not cultural backgrounds,and nonetheless stated an opinion of mine,calm down... It's just that Latin used to be a language of great power ,which inspires awe,and phonetically talking Italian just failed to preserve the tonality and specific rhythm,becoming much more of a sweet ,easy language.
But no one can question the great achievements of Italian culture,the legacy of the Renaissance carries on until today.

<<Tunisia was more romanised than Spain (Spain also was very influenced, but in the south part of the country only) or Rumania, for all that Tunisians don't speak a Romanic language (except French, which is a language of culture)>>
By all means ,you're totally missing the point.Places like Tunisia,Britain,Egypt and others have been romanised ,but they do not speak a romance tongue simply because their level of culture at that time was comparable or even higher to that of Rome and didn't quite let themselves assimilated that easy.
Guest   Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:22 pm GMT
OK in this case I forgive you!
Giovanna   Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:35 pm GMT
Continental Portuguese sounds the worst for me.
Grease   Tue May 01, 2007 9:28 am GMT
Thanks ,I feel better already.
A-S   Tue May 01, 2007 11:14 am GMT
<< <<Tunisia was more romanised than Spain (Spain also was very influenced, but in the south part of the country only) or Rumania, for all that Tunisians don't speak a Romanic language (except French, which is a language of culture)>>

By all means ,you're totally missing the point.Places like Tunisia,Britain,Egypt and others have been romanised ,but they do not speak a romance tongue simply because their level of culture at that time was comparable or even higher to that of Rome and didn't quite let themselves assimilated that easy. >>

Vrai, je rajouterai, pour le cas de la Tunisie, que de tout temps, les Tunisiens furent polyglottes: au II ème siècle de la Colonia Julia Carthago, les Carthaginois parlaient le langue berbère tunisien, le latin, le grec et bien sûr le carthaginois (punique) langue proche de l'hébraïque.
Et maintenant?
Les Tunisiens parlent leur arabe dialectal tunisien, le berbère tunisien, l'arabe littéral, le français dès le primaire, l'anglais dès l'age de 9 ans, plus une 4 ème langue obligatoire au lycée: l’allemand, l’espagnol, l’italien, le russe ou le chinois.
-------------------
It's true, I shall add, for the case of Tunisia, that always, the Tunisians were polyglot: on the IInd century of the Colonia Julia Carthago, Carthaginian spoke the Berber tunisian language, the Latin, Greek and naturally the Carthaginian (punic) language close to the Hebraic.
And now?
The Tunisians speak their Tunisian dialectal Arabic, the Tunisian Berber, literal Arabic, French from the primary, English from the age of 9 years, plus one 4th language compulsory for the secondary school: German, Spanish, Italian, Russian or Chinese.

###########

Cependant, je reviens sur la romanisation de la Tunisie, comme le disait Sénèque "Ubicumque vieil, Romanus habitat", les Romains s'installaient volontiers dans les territoires qu'ils avaient conquis.
"Opéra data est ut imperiosa civitas non solum jugum, verum linguam suam domitis genti- bus per pacem societatis imponeret"
Les Carthaginois prirent ainsi un réel engouement pour le latin, jusqu'à qu'il deviennent langue dominante avec le christianisme , mais le punique et le berbère n'ont pas disparu pour autant «Proverbium nostrum est punicum, quod quidem latine vobis dicam, quia punice non omnes nostis. »
Le latin cesse d'être parlé en Afrique du Nord, en même temps, peut-être même plus tard qu'en Espagne, ou la France.
-------------------
However, I return on the romanisation of Tunisia, as Seneca said "Ubicumque vieil, Romanus habitat", , Romans settled down gladly in the territories which they had conquered.
"Opéra data est ut imperiosa civitas non solum jugum, verum linguam suam domitis genti- bus per pacem societatis imponeret" Carthaginian so took a real craze for the Latin, until as it become dominant language with the Christianity, but the Punic and the Berber didn't disappear for all that «Proverbium nostrum est punicum, quod quidem latine vobis dicam, quia punice non omnes nostis. »
The Latin stops being spoken in North Africa, at the same time, maybe even later than in Spain, or France.
Al   Mon May 14, 2007 10:14 am GMT
Turkish is the most ugly language!Because of the too much preassure they put in their words. P like pppppp.. or r rrrrrrr....and because turkey is one f**** up country
s.jack   Mon May 14, 2007 1:35 pm GMT
I vote German
greg   Mon May 14, 2007 1:49 pm GMT
Grease : « Only Castilian Spanish and Romanian retain the original elegance and authority of Imperial Latin. »

Et c'est quoi le "latin" "impérial" selon toi ?
Swede   Mon May 14, 2007 3:47 pm GMT
The worst sounding language are definitely Arabic. I hate it, they are vomitting and screwing up in their mouth... By the way, I hate the sound "th" in British English... It is nasty...
Guest   Mon May 14, 2007 5:08 pm GMT
<<The worst sounding language are definitely Arabic. I hate it, they are vomitting and screwing up in their mouth... By the way, I hate the sound "th" in British English... It is nasty... >>

I hate the xenophobians as Swede.
Grease   Mon May 14, 2007 8:10 pm GMT
The language of Cicero,not the one spoken by the colonising peasants.Maybe "imperial" isn't quite not the right word.
And by the way,I give my vote to Greek language,it almost sounds like they speak only with their teeth and no tongue.
greg   Tue May 15, 2007 5:06 am GMT
Grease : « Only Castilian Spanish and Romanian retain the original elegance and authority of Imperial Latin. »

« Et c'est quoi le "latin" "impérial" selon toi ? »

Grease : « The language of Cicero, not the one spoken by the colonising peasants.Maybe "imperial" isn't quite not the right word. »

Oui, en effet, "impérial" n'est pas le mot qui convient dans la mesure où Cicéron est décédé 12 ans ou 16 ans avant l'Empire, suivant que l'on considère la naissance de l'Empire de fait (-31) ou celle de l'Empire de droit (-27).

Ce qui nous ramène tout droit à la sempiternelle question de la dénomination du latin (classique, vulgaire, impérial, archaïque etc).

De toute façon, je ne vois pas par quelle magie les langues castillane et roumaine auraient établi un lien stylistique exclusif avec l'orolatin cicéronien ou postcicéronien. En d'autres termes, si c'est démontrable, ça reste à démontrer.