Spanish sounds like Greek

and Romanian like slavic or albanian with open vocals

only with the etymology someone understands

that romanian is a romance language

..worst languages the ones who use many Consonants

p.s. latin is much worst than beautiful italian
Caesar   Tue May 15, 2007 5:38 pm GMT
gringo911   Sun May 20, 2007 5:02 am GMT
tagalog easily ranks as the worst sounding language in my opinion. I went to middleschool and highschool where nearly half the students were a bunch of philipinos. In several years, only a handful times did I ever hear them speak the language among themselves. That should tell you something right there. But, when they did... i always remember thinking to myself, man... what a God-awful, ugly language. They are also some of the worst people on Earth. Lousy characters.

Best language: Italian, Korean, and Ukranian.

I've come across, more than a few times, online where people have referred to a big survey that was done a few years ago asking what was the most beautiful spoken language in the world. Italian ranked #1. Ukranian ranked #2. Even tho' I don't like french at all, it really surprised me by not making the top three.

A whole lot of people around the world who are not familiar with french have this idea about how it sounds. So did I, I always thought that (somehow) it must be a very beautiful language. Then I started to watch french movies on cable and different french programming. That quickly changed my opinion... very annoying, unfriendly, cold language.

I'm American-Italian(raised in the U.S.) and until a few years ago, for some reason I always thought the Italian language wasn't anything special. In fact, my first impressions of it(when I was a kid, visiting my relatives in the states) was that it annoyed me. About 20 years later I'm at the mall and I see an "obvious" group of "Italian-Italians", and one thing I noticed was how everyone within earshot was obviously focused on them, listening and "watching" them speak. That was the first time any language I've ever come across ever actually made me "feel better" just by listening to it without any(barely any) understanding of it.

Cut to a couple years later, present-day... I've been studying Italian for awhile now, just about conversational in it and I've come to a conclusion.
I believe it isn't the language itself per se that makes itself beautiful, it's structure, syntax, vocabulary and it's auditory/phonetic aesthetics, etc,... only make up half of it, specifically Italian. It's how Italians express themselves. Their tone, tempo, cadence, and warmth/sincerity just somehow preceded/superceded their "vocals". Their character and nature came first and was filtered out through their native language, whatever language it just happened to be. It is almost as if you are being "tricked" into identifying the "language" as being beautiful when it's really the particular way and manner in which it's being spoken.

My point? Without a doubt, everyone language I've heard in my life that I actually thought was bad or ugly, always came from a "group" of people, an ethnicity, that I had a low opinion of and I've lived among many, many of them. You can agree or disagree about this but for the population of this planet, in general, Italy is widely regarded as one of the most respected and revered cultures in the world. It doesn't surprise me that the language of this culture/people is almost always ranked as the most beautiful spoken language.

wasn't it Jacques Chirac himself that said that Italian was made for music?
Franco   Sun May 20, 2007 5:13 am GMT
What bout mafioso with gun on your head? is it still beautiful?
gringo911   Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 am GMT
and if I remember correctly, a previous poster said that it was not possible to hate your own mother-tongue. I wouldn't use the word "hate", but I have almost always disliked English. Sounds like a very superficial/haphazard language to my ears. It is also a very "careless" language in every sense. No, natural harmony. Lacks color. Compared to Romance languages, it's spoken as if everyone has a stuffed nose and a lazy, fat tongue(Tom Brokaw?). It sounds like all of it's vocabulary was just slapped together; pasted together by some child that was bored one day and decided to "put a language together", then junked it into the waste-basket. An inherently boring language with an accent described as "not having an accent". Yeah, I dislike my own language.
gringo911   Sun May 20, 2007 5:31 am GMT
Franco --- "What bout mafioso with gun on your head? is it still beautiful?"

never gonna be a reason in my life for a mafioso to put a gun to my head. Even so, if someone had a gun on my head, I'm not exactly going to be debating with myself about whether Italian is still a beautiful language... f'ing idiot.
Franco   Sun May 20, 2007 5:57 am GMT
<<Yeah, I dislike my own language.>>

Yeah, sure. The grass is always greener on the other side.

<<never gonna be a reason in my life for a mafioso to put a gun to my head. >>

Being gringo is not bad enough to be killed?
The American   Sun May 20, 2007 7:02 am GMT
<<Being gringo is not bad enough to be killed?>>

Why don't we refrain from using racial slurs, how about it?
Miguel de Cerveza   Sun May 20, 2007 11:04 am GMT
Italian is a truly beautiful language. It beats the hell out of Spanish, the language of arroz con pollo. The language of Miguel de Cervantes/Cerveza....ha ha ha ha ha. Fuckin' Spanish losers.
El bitchon   Sun May 20, 2007 12:42 pm GMT
Miguel is perfectly RIGHT! Spanish is the language of fatty moustached bitches
Mr. K   Sun May 20, 2007 12:47 pm GMT
I adore Italian, but I think it's too much elitist and refined.
Miguel de Cerveza   Sun May 20, 2007 1:06 pm GMT
What's wrong with a language being elitist and refined? Italian certainly fits that bill. Italian is beautiful and elegant. It is the closest and most direct descendent of Latin. Unlike the hundreds or thousands of Arabic words in Spanish, Italian is truer to its Latin ancestor. Don't ever trash Italian for being excessively elitist and refined, for it is those qualities that make Italian great. It is ironic that Spanish speaking people identify themselves as "Latin", when in fact, Italians are more Latin than Spanish speakers. Spanish may have many more speakers, but quality always triumphs over quantity. Italian is a language of higher quality.
for Miguel   Sun May 20, 2007 1:32 pm GMT
Are you an European or an American? And why your name is Miguel?
lars   Sun May 20, 2007 1:58 pm GMT
Spanish is definitely a thousand times more beautiful than Italian.
Especially songs in the Italian language make my hair curl, really. Don't like that language at all.
Miguel de Cerveza   Sun May 20, 2007 2:05 pm GMT
I'm Australian, and I like to eat chicken and rice.