Minimum vocabulary

Alexey   Monday, May 27, 2002, 15:01 GMT
What is minumum vocabulry? How many words does it include? Are there any fixed scope of minimum vocabulary? Where can I find it?
thank you
Neil Gratton   Monday, May 27, 2002, 19:27 GMT
It depends on what you need to be doing... for basic survival needs it's very hard to quantify but I'd guess between 300 and 1000 words (I assume you are already comfortably beyond this level!)

I've recently analysed a number of novels and movie scripts to see what level of vocabulary they contain:

40 Movie Scripts were analysed; each script used on average a vocabulary of 3050 words. (some movies like "Seven Years in Tibet","Ghost" and "Braveheart" used less than 1500 different words each).

Actually, of these only 186 words were common to all 40 scripts, 370 words were common to at least 90% of the scripts.
Alexey   Monday, May 27, 2002, 20:26 GMT
Thank you!
I think sometimes I'll learn enough of words that I'll needn't look them up in a dictionary as frequently as now. (But sometimes it seems to me that there endless number of new words)

To webmasters:

You advise to use COLLINS COBILD dictionary. Can I consider the list of words on the last pages of the disctionary as a some sort of a minimum vocabulry to learn?
Alexey   Monday, May 27, 2002, 20:46 GMT
(Sorry, I made mistakes in my last message:"...I will not need...there is endless number...")