SuperMemo: A Doubt

Leonardo   Friday, June 14, 2002, 04:16 GMT
I'll be out of town for some months, so I won't be able to use my computer.
I would like to know if I can stop the learning process for a while. I would appreciate anything you could tell me. Thank you...
Neil Gratton   Friday, June 14, 2002, 09:58 GMT
If you go to the supermemo web site, they have instructions on how to use the supermemo method using just pen and paper.

Go here --> http://www.supermemo.com/articles/paper.htm
Tom   Saturday, June 15, 2002, 21:31 GMT
The pen and paper method is an ancient thing designed in the 1980s for people who don't own a computer. There is no way to take the learning process that you started on your computer and continue it using the paper and pencil method. I mean, you'd have to print out the items that you're supposed to repeat in the following days, but there is no such option in SuperMemo for Windows.

What I used to do in Leonardo's case was:

1) Take SuperMemo and my collection with me on a floppy or CD (nowadays you can also put in on the Internet) and find a computer wherever I was at. This may or may not be a good idea, depending on whether you have convenient access to a computer.

2) Interrupt my learning process -- of course, when you come back, you'll have a huge backlog of outstanding items which it may take you a month to repeat.
Leonardo   Sunday, June 16, 2002, 13:07 GMT
Shortly after I posted my question, I realized that stopping the learning process wouldn't be possible. The basic idea of Supermemo is: repeat so you don't forget. Consequently, I would have to start it all over again when I come back.

I don't know if I can learn the pen and paper method before I go. Anyway, I'll print the instructions and study it later.

Thank you all for the tips!
Tom   Sunday, June 16, 2002, 16:40 GMT
You wouldn't have to start all over again. When you come back, you can just use Mercy and handle the backlog...
rainer   Tuesday, July 02, 2002, 21:13 GMT
i suggest you start using supermemo on a pocket pc - this way you can use it wherever you are and whenever you like, provided you have got your charged pocket pc with you. (ps: there is a version of supermemo dedicated to pocket pc, and that's how i'll do it).
good luck