How to learn a british accent..

Kevin   Monday, November 18, 2002, 22:47 GMT

My first language is Welsh, Brythonic-British (p-Celtic), and my second language is English, Germanic (Indo-European). Here's some information on the Welsh language in general:

Welsh, called Cymraeg or Cymric (from Cymru, "Wales") by my fellow speakers, is the native language of Wales and the most flourishing of the Celtic languages. It is spoken in Wales (where the majority of its users also speak English) and in some communities in the United States and Argentina, where 150 Welsh settled in Patagonia in 1865. Organizations such as Welsh Language Society have saved the language from dying out and are working to assure its official status along with English. My school and many schools in Wales use Welsh as the medium of instruction, and television and radio broadcasts are made in the 'oldest language of Europe'.

The Brythonic Celts consist of the: Cornish 'Cornwall', Welsh 'Wales' and Breton 'Brittany, France'. The Brythonic Language group would understand each other with minimum effort, e.g., an Irish Gaelic speaker, unless he/she has learnt Welsh would not understand Welsh-Language television programs because the Irish Gaelic language, along with the Manx and Scots Gaelic belong to the Goidelic group. The same instance for a Welsh speaker would find it harder to learn any of the Goidelic Languages that it’s more closely related Brythonic Languages! In fact, it has been genetically proven that the Welsh, Cornish and (Picts) are the true, native peoples of the Island of Britain (Wales derives from a Saxon word for foreigner, although the Welsh are the native Celtic race of the isle of Britain). The Scots are genetically, native to the Northern Ireland ‘Ulster’ region, and that the ‘Anglo-Saxon’ English are more or less of Germanic-linage, although the ‘Anglo-Celts’ are a mixture of both the ‘Celtic’ and ‘Angle’ peoples, and therefore, should not be classified as ‘Anglo-Saxon’.

The Celtic/Anglo-Celtic lands of today consist of:

Wales (Cymru/Cymraeg), Brythonic-British (p-Celtic),
Cornwall (Kernow/Kernewek), Brythonic-British (p-Celtic),
Brittany (Breizh/Brezhoneg), Brythonic-British (p-Celtic),
Cumbria (Northern England/Cumbrian), Brythonic-British (p-Celtic),
Pictland (Scotland/Pictish), Brythonic-British (p-Celtic).

The Republic of Ireland (Poblacht na h'Eireann/Gaeilge na hÉireann,), Goidelic-Gaelic (q-Celtic),
Northern Ireland (Ulster), Goidelic-Gaelic (q-Celtic).
Scotland (Alba or Caledonia/Gàidhlig na h-Alba), Goidelic-Gaelic (q-Celtic).
Isle Of Man (Mannin/Manx/Gaelg Vannin), Goidelic-Gaelic (q-Celtic),

Gaul (Gaul, France/Gaulish),
Galatia (Asia Minor, Turkey/Galatian),
Galicia (Galicia, Spain/Galician),
The Iberian Peninsula (Portugal, The Basque Country, Leptonic),
Gascon (dialect of Occitan),
Scandinavia (Scandinavian), Norse/Celtic,
Iceland (Lydhveldidh Island/Icelandic), Norse/Celtic,
Asturias (Spain),
Pandania (Italy),

'Anglo-Celtic', not 'Anglo-Saxon':
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Wocestershire, Warwichshire, Lecestershire, Rutland, Cambridgeshire, Wiltshire, Somerset, Sussex (parts of), Cheshire, Shropshire, Herefordshire, Monmouthshire ‘Wales/Cymru’, Gloucestershire, Devon, Dorset, Northamptonshire, Huntingdomshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire.

The rest of England, derived from ‘Angle-land’ is considered purely ‘Anglo-Saxon’, they do not have any Celtic genetics as the native Celts of these areas were killed-off and replaced by the dominant Angles, Jutes, Frisians and especially Saxons of Western Germany and Southern Denmark. The other areas of England, e.g., ‘East Anglia, South East England, The Midlands are purely 'Anglo-Saxon' and should not be confused with the ‘Anglo-Celts’ of the rest of England. Calling all Englishmen ‘Saxons’, or ‘Sais’ in Welsh is not correct. Many, if not more Englishmen and women carry the ‘Anglo-Celtic’ gene, and not the ‘Anglo-Saxon’.

Celts and 'Anglo-Celts':
The United States of America,
Canada,
New Zealand,
Australia,
South Africa,
Continental Europe,
The Patagonia Peninsula of South America, etc.

There are over 40 different recognised dialects in the Welsh language. If anyone requires assistance with learning the Welsh language in general. Please contact me!

Standard Welsh has both a Northern (My Native Dialect) and Southern variety.
Kevin
Simon   Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 09:12 GMT
Racist claptrap, Kevin. And since when have places like the USA, Canada, Australia etc. been Celtic? I don't doubt that Celtic first language speakers settled there and made a contribution. But language is the only thing tangible - blood gets mixed around all the time. As for the English being pure blood Anglo-Saxons... Sorry, but what you said is nineteenth century rubbish.

You're only a Celt if you speak a Celtic language as your main language or perhaps born to someone who does.
Rupert   Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 13:14 GMT
There is no such thing as purely Anglo-Saxon without any Celtic genetics. Genetically, we are all well mixed.
Anonymous   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 14:28 GMT
Can we get back to talking about learning to get a british accent? Because I think a lot of people would rather hear about learning then about celtic backgrounds.
Simon   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 15:07 GMT
How to learn a British Accent: live in the United Kingdom. You could learn off the BBC World Service but there it would only be RP, i.e. a relatively artificial (and untypical) accent. I otherwise don't honestly see how "advice" on this forum could help.
Simon   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 15:10 GMT
To acquire a British accent: Put a peg on your nose and place a hungry ravenous weasel in your underpants. If nothing else works, this will.
Andrew   Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 17:59 GMT
Will that really work simon?? Putting a peg on your nose makes you sound like a cold, and besides the're aren't many weasels in England!!

I'd like to see your reasoning for this! Where are u from?
sarah   Thursday, November 21, 2002, 01:59 GMT
I would also really like to learn a British accent, a Yorkshire one in particular(ACTUALLY ANY BROAD NORTHERN ONE WOULD DO)! I already live here in England and I've tried watching coronation street but it doesn't help! I need to learn it for a play I'm in so any advice on websites to visit would be VERY helpful!!! MAIL ME @ orangteeny@hotmail.com Thanx
Simon   Thursday, November 21, 2002, 09:09 GMT
Born in London. Living in Belgium. It was just a joke. Kids, please don't try this at home...
J   Saturday, November 23, 2002, 18:35 GMT
Can you get the BBC World Service in English on your radio? Just sit back and listen as the presenters have the best RP accents in the world (or at least they used to).
Akakor   Saturday, November 23, 2002, 22:48 GMT
English is not my mother tongue. Sorry for any mistake. Thanks.

Is the English in the UK becoming a non sence language?
I work with customers from all European countries and using English as the main language of communication. I can understand the english spoken from many other non-english countries but when I listen to a UK customer many times the English spoken is not clear or, it´s nearly the pronunciation of someone who have not been at school before. Even the grammar many times are not used correctly. Other times when I say to the UK customer "Have you been" in a sentence they say "Sorry". Many times I had to speak "low level" english so I could be understood.
I believe the UK government is much more worried to make or build his war business up than giving more attention to the education and future of the UK that should be based on the EDUCATION. There is no a good future without Education.

Thanks.
Akakor
Email: dieakakor@hotmail.com
James   Sunday, November 24, 2002, 01:44 GMT
Watch Harry Potter, Chamber Of Secrets
Josh   Sunday, November 24, 2002, 03:20 GMT
Try not to pronounce the 't's accually pronoune them but almost sumliminally and there is a difference between a british accent and an australian accent
Natalia   Sunday, November 24, 2002, 03:46 GMT
Someone plese help me i am going to move to London next month and i want to have the British Accent to fit in.

P.S. I dont have an email address and im not going to get one since i am moving next month. I like the Replys where someone tells someone else to watch a movie to learn FOR EXAMPLE: Snatch or HARRY POTTER. Please tell me more movies and i'll give any man out there a nice reward (if u know what i mean) if u can inform me on movies or wbsites to see to learn the magnificant British Accent. Thanx!!!
J   Sunday, November 24, 2002, 15:36 GMT
Beest thou whoring thysen? Have some respect for yourself girl.