Speaking slowly is okay - don't worry about "fluency"

Miguel   Thursday, May 30, 2002, 16:33 GMT
When I talk I still not think everything I wanna say in English, I first think some sentences in Spanish and then try to translate them into English. After 3 intensive years studying this language I think is time I thought everything in english.
How much time do you think you need to get that?. I don't really mind fluency as long as I can speak properly.
neeta   Thursday, June 06, 2002, 18:09 GMT
to-koulrc@yahoo.com.
i read the advice given by u 2 mr.Govindarajulu,

it was a good 1. i like that. sir i think u r a indian.ur sirname proves.i am too a indian. i too have a problem ,while expressing myself.if any sugestions,plz let us know.
bye ,thankx.
Ram Bilas Pachori   Saturday, August 03, 2002, 22:19 GMT
Hi Gomathi,
It is very easy to think on any subject/topic/problem in our native language.
try to convert these thaughts into english.I think mirror will be benefitial for this as a encouragement in confidance.for developing thoughts you can also go through novels or short stories etc.
Regards
Ram Bilas
RKanagaraj   Sunday, August 04, 2002, 17:42 GMT
Dear Michael.Greetings.I'm an English teacher and for the first time tonight
I have been going through your website.Hm interesting.I,ll return it to very often.Thanks R.Kanagaraj
Kaye   Wednesday, August 07, 2002, 06:19 GMT

Hey! I'm a newbie here, been looking for a forum of this kind, though. Anyways, got something to share about my dilemma in speaking english. I've been here in the United Sates for almost 4 years but I never worked so whenever I go out, I feel like scared to talk to people for fear that they might not understand me (because of the accent thing). But you know what I discovered, the more you talk with english speaking people, the more you improve your speaking skills. It's like you'd be talking in your native language one you get the hang of it, it's that easy. It's all a matter of practice. I just realized that the reason I had a hard time with learning english before is because I was so conscious of my grammar but I let go of it, I told myself that I'll try to polish my accent first before I concentrate on that grammar thing. So this is what I'm doing right now, get out and talk with people, don't be scared, they never laughed at you anyway whenever you make mistake with your grammar because american people themselves don't care about it at all so why should I? All that matters to them is they can understand you and vise versa, that's it. Well, I'll give myself more time on enhancing my speaking skills then I'll go back to improving my grammar.
Tom   Wednesday, August 07, 2002, 10:24 GMT
Here's what I think: Your grammar is very good. But it isn't good because of all the speaking practice, but because of all the listening and reading you've done in four years.
I recommend your technique ("getting out and talking to people") to people who can write in good English, like you. I don't recommend it to other people.
Kaye   Wednesday, August 07, 2002, 19:59 GMT
Tom, I appreciate what you've written about me. Know what? You've given me an idea. I think I'll try to frequent here so I can improve more my English, probably ask you about my grammar. I'll be right back. Got a phone call though.
ajay jajoo   Sunday, August 11, 2002, 16:56 GMT
Sir,
i can speak english but i am not fluent & my vocabulary is also very bad.
well i dont worry about fluency,my main problem is that i hesitate to speak in public.well due to poor english.please tell me how i can remove my hesitation & can improve my english more.
Please mail me at:jajooajay123@rediffmail.com
Ajay
Tee   Thursday, August 22, 2002, 06:28 GMT
When I speak carefully, I tend to "write" English sentences in my head first before the words come out of my mouth. Otherwise I would make a lot of mistakes. For example, I would use incorrect verb tenses (There's no such things as "tenses" in my native language so I find them especially difficult).

Is it a good habit to "write" sentences in one's head first before speaking?

I doubt if I will be able to speak naturally and fluently by speaking in this way. It seems that I have to keep this habit all my life if I want to speak English correctly.
Tom   Thursday, August 22, 2002, 10:32 GMT
I often "write" sentences in my head when speaking German. I don't have to do this for simple sentences, so why don't you try to keep it simple? Also, it looks as though you need:
- more writing practice (at faster and faster speed)
- more speaking practice (I really think you would get much more fluent if you had to speak English for 8 hours at a stretch)
- and -- my usual recommendation -- more input (esp. conversational input)
Tee   Friday, August 23, 2002, 10:47 GMT
Thanks for your advice, Tom.

About writing practice, I'm going to find a native friend and then write to him/her regularly. I'll ask him/her to correct my message as well.
loveeevol   Friday, August 23, 2002, 13:11 GMT
sorry,
but what is the meaning of "Peace Out"?
Asim   Monday, September 02, 2002, 06:25 GMT
Hi Guys,

It seems that English speaking skill has been always a problem for everybody. I am facing this problem as well. I do very good reading on daily basis and I also communicate in written English almost daily; However, I noticed a very strange thing when it comes to speaking. Sometime I feel like if I am speaking as good as native speakers; on the other hand, I sometimes feel like if I have never studied or practised English before. Is it a psychological problem? or is it something else? Please advise !
Tee   Monday, September 02, 2002, 12:35 GMT
Tom,

I've read the article "You can damage your English by writing and speaking". And I'd like to ask you one thing.

Do you think my writing practice will damage my English?
Tee   Monday, September 02, 2002, 12:37 GMT
I always try to minimize mistakes, but I don't think I can write with zero mistake.