American

Josh   Friday, November 29, 2002, 19:53 GMT
I think English should be called American in future since most English speakers actually learn American English. We'll just call American the language people in the US speak and forget the name English. I persnally think this is a good idea. What do you think?
Pat   Friday, November 29, 2002, 19:55 GMT
I agree 100%.
Dan   Friday, November 29, 2002, 20:19 GMT
I don't think the majority of US people will reject that idea. Most of us probably don't know why we speak English. Many people think July 4 is the day we just enjoy fireworks annually. I remember when a CNN reporter asked some school kids, they said the US became independent from the native Americans. Many people would be surprised to hear that the US was just a British colony. We do teach American history though. But the people just don't value it as much as they remember it.
Marushka   Friday, November 29, 2002, 21:03 GMT
The majority of people in the UK would, English will always remain the language in the UK. As for americans calling it american good luck to them, but it shouldn't be classed as a separate language to English. However Josh on you saying most english speakers learn american english i would have to disagree. Each place that speaks English has its own dialect and each has slight variations to each other. Only americans deal in american english. I think america out of all nations that speak english is the one who 'twists' the language the most. Not that that is a bad thing!
Deanna   Saturday, November 30, 2002, 03:04 GMT
I think, since British refers to Scotland, Wales, and England (no?) and they all speak British English, that since Canadians and Americans speak American English it should be called American (since it refers to North America) and British English should be called UK!

Did that make any sense? Just my 2 cents. =)

Deanna, who is still very mad at Ahmed.
Hayley   Saturday, November 30, 2002, 05:38 GMT
British English should be called British, and American English , American.
Sybill   Saturday, November 30, 2002, 12:06 GMT
But things aren't going to change in a hurry are they people!! But really the language of English did originate in England, so it still deserves to be called English in my opinion. All other countries in the UK had other languages. Wales= Welsh, Scotland=Scots, Ireland probably had Gaelic in the 1700's?
Kevin   Saturday, November 30, 2002, 20:02 GMT
Sybil,

What do you mean "All other countries in the UK HAD other languages".

Welsh is still spoken in Northern and Western Wales (Patagonia, parts of USA, Canada, Australia etc), Scots Gaelic in parts of Western Scotland (Nova Scotia, USA, Australia etc), Irish Galeic in parts of Ireland (New World) and Cornish in Cornwall (and other parts) is now experiecing a revival. Including Galician in North-Western Spain, Breton in Brittany, France. And of course Manx of the Isle of Man. Cumbrian, the language of Cumbria in England has unfortuantely died out!
And so, I do not appreciate you speaking of the Celtic (Brythonic and Goidelic etc.) languages as if they have died out. Welsh (Brythonic-pCeltic) is and always will be my first language, and English my second.

Regards,

Kevin
Repson   Sunday, December 01, 2002, 07:30 GMT
American English should be called Anglo. Why, because that is a simple way of saying that the English language came from the Angles. I do not want to say that I speak American English all the time. That is SIX syllables! "Eng-lish" has only two. So, Americans should say that they speak Anglo, and the British should say that they speak English. As for the rest of the English-speaking world, I do not know, and frankly I do not care. But I think the Canadians should call their English Anglo too.
Sybill   Sunday, December 01, 2002, 16:43 GMT
Sorry Kevin didn't mean to cause offence but many have unfortunately died out, I was meaning that since English oringinated in England it should be called English and not British since the other countries of Britain contributed very little to it.
As for Anglo, no offence Repson, but it sounds like a washing powder to me!! Even though the Angles founded the language among others.
J   Sunday, December 01, 2002, 16:44 GMT
I think this is pointless. All three are dialects of English, hence British English, American English and Scots English.
Ken   Monday, December 02, 2002, 11:15 GMT
I agree with Josh. Calling American English just American is great. Most people here in the USA are not interested in England at all. We don't really care about what the English speak and their culture is like cause we are completely different from them. Our economy and politics affect the English but they have no influence on our economy and politics. It just seems the British like to follow us in everything from going to wars and receiving Academy awards. If we say we are going to Irag, they will come with us just like a loyal dog. We welcome whoever wants to follow USA but they are not important and not influential to us. I guess we are really the super power that everyone wants to follow or feels jealous about. So, we should call it American.
Simon   Monday, December 02, 2002, 11:49 GMT
Ken, there's a fine line between "love" and "hate" and you just crossed it. Once again, you want to take an English invention and pretend it's American. T-cha...
Ken   Monday, December 02, 2002, 12:22 GMT
Simon, you are wrong. We don't hate Britain and I don't hate Britain either. USA is a very friendly and open country that welcomes everyone and helps everyone in need. We don't hate anyone. It's the others who love or hate USA. You just have to be a little more open minded and to accept many people have different opinions, Simon. It's not just about love or hate. Some things are not important enough to be loved or hated.

First of all, English isn't an invention. You guys stole words from different languages of the conquerors. You don't have any patent for it, do you. The French have never asked you not to use any words that are originally from the French language. So it's ok for us to call American English American. If you want to call your language American, we won't mind it either cause we are always generous to you guys and we know you guys like USA and our products. So you are welcome to it.
Magen   Monday, December 02, 2002, 12:45 GMT
As an American, I like the idea of calling American English American. As many others (Josh, Pat, Dan, Deanna, Ken) from the US agreed, we should not call the entire English language American but only American English American. It's up to the rest of the English speakers to call their own English dialects whatever they like to call.