Using a word

Mohammed Asad Khan   Wednesday, January 16, 2002, 18:16 GMT
Let's suppose I search a word in a dictionary and It brings out 3 sentences.
of using this particular word. Each sentence is different with each other..
Tell me we always use this word under the given of three conditions. We can not use it for next condition. (we can not make it an own sentence )...

As you give many sentences of a particular word for using on "An interestng words section ". Each word uses in different conditions so my repeat question is we are restricted to use this word under the given circumstances. I hope you will understand my question what I'm trying to say.......
Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Wednesday, January 16, 2002, 20:32 GMT
to Mohammed Asad Khan:..

I am not sure if I understand your question. But I have a number of things to tell you anyway. Your recent posts inspired me to give you the following pieces of advice:..

When you see a word in a thesaurus and you have no examples for this word, then you shouldn't use this word at all...

If you want to use a word for which you have one example sentence, then your own sentence must be similar to the example sentence...

If you know a simple word to express your meaning, you shouldn't replace it with a word picked up from a thesaurus...

For example, when you know the word 'true', you should use it rather than look for a synonym. When you use 'bona fide' instead of 'true', then your sentence becomes hard to understand for many people...

The general rule is this: use simple words for which you have seen many example sentences...

I can see that you have been expanding your active vocabulary and that you are experimenting with the new words which you have learned. I am glad that you are enthusiastic about English words and I recommend you to build your active vocabulary from simple words...

And one more thing. Idioms are not a reliable means of communication. Most of the people who read your posts do not know as many English idioms as you like to use. For them, your posts are difficult to understand and that means poor communication between you and your readers.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Friday, February 01, 2002, 09:05 GMT
I meant that when a dictionary gives 4 sentences of a particular word along with a clear definition. for instance, cambridge is a good dictionary..
Let's see more further, .
' A word is used in 4 different situations so what I say that I will aways use this word in those 4 situations.' I can not use it in different situation except them..
I guess this was my question.
Tom   Friday, February 01, 2002, 18:46 GMT
You should use the word only in the four situations which are given in the dictionary. You should not try to place the word in your own, totally different context just because the definition fits. The definition is the least important part of a dictionary entry!..

If you read in a dictionary that "veritable = true", that doesn't mean you can go from:..

"a true story" to "a veritable story".
"Is it true that ... ?" to "Is it veritable that ... ?".
etc...

The fact is, "veritable" can only be used in a few specific contexts. What contexts? You find out by studying example sentences.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Sunday, February 03, 2002, 19:35 GMT
Thank you so much - Tom.
you have just ended a big tension of mine. And now i 'll be a better user of dictionary.