Some questions

Knight   Monday, February 18, 2002, 09:44 GMT
I have some doubts in English conversation and would be grateful to whoever who clears it out.

1) When someone says "It's nice meeting you " , Should i reply " Me too" or "You too" ?

2) I am very much interested in learning English and "am" working for it hardly. {Is the use of the word "am" admissible in the above sentence }

3) While writing letters , should i always address the receiver with "Dear" ?. Can this be used if the receiver is a female or a person in a seasoned designation ?.
Tom   Monday, February 18, 2002, 11:51 GMT
<<<<
1) When someone says "It's nice meeting you " , Should i reply " Me too" or "You too" ?
>>>>

"Nice meeting you too."

<<<<
2) I am very much interested in learning English and "am" working for it hardly. {Is the use of the word "am" admissible in the above sentence }
>>>>

The word "am" itself is okay (but other things are wrong with this sentence).

<<<<
3) While writing letters , should i always address the receiver with "Dear" ?.
>>>>

No, not always. If you're writing a letter to a friend, you can also write "Hi Jack" or simply "Jack".

<<<<
Can this be used if the receiver is a female or a person in a seasoned designation ?.
>>>>

I'm not sure what you mean by "person in a seasoned designation"?? Salutations like "Dear Kate", "Dear Sir", "Dear Madam", or "Dear Professor Jones" are all good. I hope this answers your question.
Neil Gratton   Tuesday, February 26, 2002, 14:52 GMT
>1) When someone says "It's nice meeting you " , Should i reply " Me too" >or "You too" ?

I would normally say just "likewise".

>2) I am very much interested in learning English and "am" working for it >hardly. {Is the use of the word "am" admissible in the above sentence }

Yes, "am" is fine, but "hard" is an adverb as well as an adjective ... it would be better to say "and am working hard towards it". "Hardly" is also an adverb, but means "not very much".

>3) While writing letters , should i always address the receiver >with "Dear" ?. Can this be used if the receiver is a female or a person in a >seasoned designation ?.

Yes, you can use "Dear" in any formal letter. In an informal letter to a close friend you might just use "Hi" or "Hello" instead.