The ASCII phonetic alphabet

Mohammed Asad khan   Saturday, February 23, 2002, 18:18 GMT

Could you please help me out in order to write pronunciation of a word on the basis of the ASCII phonectic alphabet. I must write pronunciation of a word in my supermemo. How can I DO it?

there is a hurdle to type phonectic symbols in the answer section of supermemo from the internet. That's why i need to learn ASCII symbols.

You guys have put a chart sheet of IPA - ASCII - I understood the symbols
correspondingly. I want to get surety only.

I'm writting phonectics of some words from my supermemo collection.

Chrome - dome [tS'ro me 'dome]
Chick [tS ik]
Chuck [tS uk]
Cut the cheese [kut TH tSi se]
Bounce ['bo au.n]

PS: DO I NEED TO STUDY ASCII SYMBOLS IN MORE DEEPER>
Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Sunday, February 24, 2002, 15:31 GMT
The word is "phoneTic" and not "phoneCTic".

I suspect that you don't have a dictionary which gives transcription in the IPA alphabet. You don't know the IPA alphabet. You got the transcription all wrong.

You can find examples of IPA transcription in the Antimoon definition pages.

You need to study thoroughly the IPA symbols, the ASCII symbols, and pronunciation in general. Your current knowledge is a real mess.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Monday, February 25, 2002, 00:15 GMT

To Michal:

* Phonectic was a typing error

* I have four personal dictionaries:
- 2 pocket dictionaries
- webster ( It is an american dictionary)
- cambridge ( It contains lots of definition sentences).

All contain IPA transcription. I wrote transcription of those words when I opened the page of IPA transcription from the Antimoon website. I kept this page infront of my screen and then tried to understand it. All my reckoning are telling me right now that I did not understand the transcription.
That's why you are cracking on me.

To be honest, I need to study thoroughly the IPA symbols, the ASCII symbols, and pronunciation in general. moreover, to be ensured you, your suggestion is on the nose. I will utmost care it.

- Your current knowledge is a real mess.
Do you think any sort of knowledge is a mess. In my humble opinion, knowledge is knowledge you can not descriminate into two different ways such as 'messy' or 'informative' it depends upto you how do you accept it.

Supermemo is a software who improves word power. I haven't second thoughts at this point. It works like a magician.

As for I know, every person has different perceptions, for me, its okay if you consider my current knowledge is messy. Can you predict the exact knowledge of a person? I reckon so you can predict because you read only 4 slang words and you did. If you don't mind I just want to tell about using supermemo. I break learning english words into 4 different sections in my supermemo.

slang. kno ( it contain only slang words )
idioms. kno ( it contins only idioms words )
phrases. kno ( it contains only phrases )
wordpower. kno ( it contains only those english words which are not included in above three sections ) for example I appended all interesting words which are published at antimoon website). I must have copied all of them along with pronunciation, sentences and definitions, by all means.

If you are having a hard time during reading my posts. sorry for that.

As for you asked my curren knowledge is messy. please ready my current knowldge and then you try to decide go ahead no hurdles from my side.

Definition: A bald man; a head without hair.
Synonyms: Baldie
( this is a question section in mysupermemo)

Chrome- Dome

Example : The light off that chrome dome is blinding me!

Etymology: ' Chrome' is a shiny material used on car bumpers, and a dome is a round roof or vault . So a chrome dome is a shiny and round -- like a bald man's head.( As you can imagine, this isn't the nicest thing to say, so you should probably use this phrase only with friends.)

( this is an answer section in my supermeo)

Definition: A young woman, particularly an attractive young woman.

Chick

Example : I like holly -- she's a cool chick!

Etymology : A chick is literally a young chicken or any baby bird. The use of ' chick' is refer to a young women comes from 1920s African - American slang.

Definition: To flatulate; to fart.

Synonyms: float an air biscuit, pass gas

Cut the cheese

Example : oh, man, It stinks in here. Who cut the cheese ?

Definition: To leave.
Bounce

We have got to bounce - my friend charlie is having a big party.

I'm going to bounce. I have to get up early tomorrow.

Etymology : When something 'bounces', it moves up and down, like a ball. when a person bounces, she moves from one place to another, as though flying through the air.

Definition: To throw something away; to dispose of something.

Chuck

Example: That sandwich is covered with mold! you should chuck it

Etymology : Chuck can also mean ' to throw ' As slang, the word has come to mean ' throw away ' or ' treat like thrash '.

mohammed asad khan   Monday, February 25, 2002, 00:29 GMT

what would you say on my current knowledge
once you see my super collection you will be impressed
how is it so different from others because

its organized, neat and clean
used right fond colors, sizes and highlighted the given word in bold wherever it appears in a sentence.

black color (CENTURY GOTHIC - REGULAR - 10 SIZE) (text)
DEFINITION, SYNONYMS AND EXAMPLES(heading only) ARE HIGHLIGHTED IN BOLD....where ever a word it appears also highlighted into bold.

if you write on this pattern, you will get my supermemo collection on the spot. how it looks like.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Monday, February 25, 2002, 00:36 GMT

Please ignore my typing mistakes.
Thanks for reading.
Stay Cool
Michal and Tom.
Mohammed Asad Khan   Monday, February 25, 2002, 02:22 GMT
Bottom line, brainwash, brainstorm, an arm and an a leg and break the ice,zonked all of them are slangs. They were sopken by native speakers. I heard all of them during watching the movies.
there are so many slang words and so forth.
Those words are also slangs, bounce, cut the cheese, chrome- dome,chuck and chik. you can not consider them a mess.
I think mess is a strong word for me. You should have used my current knowldge is not up to the scratch or up to the mark

a real mess ( i will add it in my slang list) :)
Tom   Monday, February 25, 2002, 16:46 GMT
I can't figure out one thing about you, Mohammed: Your basic English skills are, in your own words, "not up to the mark", yet you still worry about rare slang vocabulary (some of which I've never seen before in my life). Why don't you wait until you're more proficient?
Michal Ryszard Wojcik   Monday, February 25, 2002, 20:38 GMT
Mohammed Asad Khan,
you like idioms so I will talk to you through an idiom: FIRST THINGS FIRST.

Please think about the meaning of this idiom and start working on your basic English skills.
Mohammed Asad khan   Tuesday, February 26, 2002, 00:49 GMT

I need to perform more important things first and then
go for less important things. I should figure out what are the important things for me and what are the less important. Is that right? Asad
That idiom has only three words but shows so many things to tell.

- having a good pronunciation. ( more important)
- learning phonetic transcription ( more important)
- reading books and append correct sentences for S.m (more important)
- Listening to talk shows and watch english movies ( more important).
- pronounce basic and small words in order to have good pronunciation
(more important)
- use simple words and correct sentences during writing then every reader
don't face any hurdles ( more mportant).
- to be waited until for digesting something completely ( moreimportant)
- don't try to kill so many birds with one stone. it's impossible. don't try to
learn so many things at a time.go for one by one. ( more important)

- learning idioms and slang words ( less important)
- write complicated words inorder to impress someone ( less important)

CONCLUSION:

- to construct a strong building we need to provide solid foundation otherwise it will be fallen down. ( more important)
- try to construct a strong building within an hour ( less important).

These things if you are trying to say from that idiom. To be ensured you,
I am going to start working on my basic skills. I don't want to have a weak
foundation. MICHAL why did not use that idiom at the begining When I was joined this website
Mohammed Asad Khan   Tuesday, February 26, 2002, 01:16 GMT
I can't figure out one thing about you, Mohammed: Your basic English skills are, in your own words,

Tom: I kept your point in my mind thats why i wrote my above post in my own words : utilized my basic skills. can you understand my above POST?

yet you still worry about rare slang vocabulary (some of which I've never seen before in my life).

Good point: infact, my mind doesnt work on a right track. it gets me so many stupids things to do. learning slangs is one of them.

You know why? one day i was learning over internet i guess an english website, it was providing very useful information and materials to learn from day to day and week to week. It had been stopped for free learners.
It went on providing materials if you were a registered student.
it hurt me a lot. anyhow.

internet is the only access to get information atleast for me. I'm afarid perhaps every good website will be shut down back to back. As a result,
i will have to lose so many useful resources. that's why i am appendin' slang words to my slang list i want to save them. then if something wrong, i can utilize them..no losing side!
by accidentally, i use slang and idiom words. i have no passion by means usethem during writing my english.

internet its an only name providing good stuff. it brings out 1000 searches of websites or it brings out 10-12 english web searches. and you see
only a few are up to the mark.