Reading can reinforce your pronunciation wrong!

Mohammed Asad Khan   Wednesday, March 13, 2002, 20:21 GMT

Tom is a webmaster who is in favor of pronouncing words correctly.
This sentences makes a sense, And by all means I appreciate it.

Let me share one thing with you right here, perhaps it might be more important. yesterday, I was in the bed and whispering about buying music cd's of english songs. But what happened ?

My brain also brought up a crucial point, let's take a look at it !

- for instance, I have a text book and every page contains atleast 100 or more than words. Right!
- We can pronounce some words correctly because we have pronounced them already on a right track. ( They are normally easy words ).
- We always try to pronounce some words without concerning a dictionary due to lack of time.( one reason might be to pronounce each or evey word individuals,and perhaps it would take too much time to read a page).
As a result, we pronounce putting them together in a wrong way, so that we always pronounce them in a wrong way.
(beacsue this habbit has become strong till upto).

Taking a real example of my above point.

- I always used to pronounce " thee "(the) in a word of " healthy" .
- one day a native speaker corrected my this mistake, he told to me that:
" we have to pronounce "th" sound like we pronounce it into " three "
- one more example is " missile. " ( i used to pronounce it as mizile)

Reading can be dangerous to reinforce your pronunciation wrong. This is my only point perhaps you would disagree with it.
(you can not pronounce the whole book with the help of concerning a dictionary).
should we study Phonetic transcription first before hitting the books.?
what should be the possiblity If we learn the whole IPA transcription and will not be able to pronounce words in a wrong way}
P.S: { I can not write understanble english on a specific idea, or topic. If there is no restriction to write I can write a bit understandable English.)
Sorry for that. If you don't understand my point.
Tom   Wednesday, March 13, 2002, 23:20 GMT
<<<
Reading can be dangerous to reinforce your pronunciation wrong. This is my only point perhaps you would disagree with it.
>>>

I totally agree. In fact, Michal and I think that pronunciation should be the very first thing to learn. Otherwise, the learner is likely to teach himself incorrect pronunciation habits (even when reading). Michal has written about this in another topic:

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2002/26.htm

<<<
- I always used to pronounce " thee "(the) in a word of " healthy" .
- one day a native speaker corrected my this mistake, he told to me that:
" we have to pronounce "th" sound like we pronounce it into " three "
>>>

the [TH..] or [THi:]
healthy ['hel thi:]
three [thri:]

As you see, "the" has a different sound than both "healthy", "three".
pixx   Thursday, March 14, 2002, 04:17 GMT
Now I'm studying both reading and pronunciation. My pronunciation is fairly good but there are still many words that I don't know how to pronounce them correctly without the help of dictionary. I usually not use dictionary while reading.

Do you have any suggesstion for me so that my reading won't reinforce my pronunciation wrong?
Tom   Thursday, March 14, 2002, 20:02 GMT
<<<<
Do you have any suggesstion for me so that my reading won't reinforce my pronunciation wrong?
>>>>

Yes. If you don't know the English sounds and phonetic transcription, study them as soon as possible.