Any questions about the German language ???

Tom   Thursday, April 17, 2003, 18:14 GMT
I know it's supposed to be feminine, but why the "-er" ending in "Dresdner"? As I understand it, the bank is from Dresden.
To me, it looks like the kind of "-er" that you stick onto adjectives when they are followed by a masculine noun:

gut -> ein guter Mann
Bierfee   Thursday, April 17, 2003, 19:25 GMT
:) You're right. And, honestly, I can't say WHY it is like that.
You also say "eine Berliner Frau" (a woman who is from Berlin) or "die Kölner Schule" (the school in Cologne)...
Jason   Thursday, April 17, 2003, 20:24 GMT
Are nouns always capitalized in German? Why are words thrown together?
Bierfee   Thursday, April 17, 2003, 20:31 GMT
:) Yes, nouns are always capitalized. I don't know why though. It is a trademark of this language.... as well as the "throw together" of the words.
It's sad actually that I don't know the background and origin of those things...
Jean   Thursday, April 17, 2003, 20:54 GMT
German is the ONLY language where nouns or words with a noun function get a capital letter!

But I heard about that they discussed 100 years ago to stop this ... that means to write the nouns like in English and French --> but nobody wanted this!
Michael   Thursday, April 17, 2003, 21:00 GMT
I ask a view guys. They don´t know. Die Dresdner Bank
Der Dresdner Kopf
Das Dresdner Geschirr
I think it has to do with origin, of calles places that you always use er behind. I didn´t find any example where it is not like this. Just learn ;-)
cmhiv   Thursday, April 17, 2003, 21:06 GMT
I think the German people need to form a committee like the Afrikaans-speakers did, and make German simple. For example;

die Bank
die Kopf
die Geschirr

That would make it SO MUCH easier! And get rid of the declensions!
mjd   Friday, April 18, 2003, 00:40 GMT
Can one of you guys give an example of the dative and genetive cases in German. I remember them being somewhat difficult back in my high school German classes.
cmhiv   Friday, April 18, 2003, 02:00 GMT
The genitive case is "der Gottes Hand" but I think this is wrong. In Pennsylvania German, it is "der Gott sei Hand."
Simon   Friday, April 18, 2003, 07:08 GMT
Talking of banks there used to be one in Belgium called Generale Bank in Dutch (no probs with that) but Générale de Banque in French.

Générale de Banque

I just find this really wierd unless the de is just linking the two words a bit like Japanese "no" (i.e. tomodachi no Rinda-san).

Daniel   Friday, April 18, 2003, 12:02 GMT
Hi, cmhiv. I read your thread about reforming the English spelling. I don't think that it is good to make a language easier.So, when you learn English you have to take into account that you cannot rely on rules concerning pronunciation (to caugh [f], but hiccough [p]), when you learn German you have to learn lots of rules (rules which are sometimes totally unreasonable) and when you learn Japanese you agree to learn 3 writing systems with quite a few characters. But in my opinion, that's what makes languages so interesting.
all the sheep   Saturday, April 19, 2003, 14:53 GMT
the full name was
société generale de banque
general company of banking
David Bosch   Saturday, April 19, 2003, 18:04 GMT
About pronunciation:
Why some German people say Ich as "ich" and some others as "ij".
Which is correct?, Are both correct?, Why is that?
cmhiv   Saturday, April 19, 2003, 21:53 GMT
Dialect my freund. I have a friend from Northern Germany who says, "ish" for "ich." While the Pennsylvania Dutch uses the hard "kh" sound like the most of Southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
David Bosch   Saturday, April 19, 2003, 21:58 GMT
Thank you very much.
It's such a relief my lastname is Bosch and not Boch, otherwise I wouldn't know how to pronounce it well.