Difference between jungle and forest

Baski   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 07:28 GMT
Can anyone explain me when we should use forest instead jungle??
Thanks
Simon   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 08:03 GMT
Monkeys.
davut   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 08:47 GMT
the size of Jungle is more than forest. And many kind of animals live in jungle than forest.
Simon   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 08:49 GMT
A jungle according to the Cambridge Dictionary is "a tropical forest in which trees and plants grow very closely together"
Adam   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 09:23 GMT
We should use forest instead of jungle because forests and jungles are different things. A forest is a large clump of trees e.g. Kielder Forest in Cumbria.

A jungle is a forest in tropical areas. A tropical forest.
Simon   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 09:35 GMT
- We should use forest instead of jungle because forests and jungles are different things.

What a great sentence. ha ha!
Cricket   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 10:27 GMT
When I think of a jungle, India comes to mind (eg. Kipling's "Jungle Book"). Jungles are areas of wild plant growth inhabited by exotic animals such as tigers, monkeys, parrots. They are found in south east asia, eg. India, Sri-Lanka, Thialand. Forests are large areas of trees (eg. pine trees, cedar) found in Europe and North America. A tropical rainforest, unlike a jungle, tends to be a humid and wet environment getting plenty of rain (hence, plant life includes ferns, fungi, etc), with unique wildlife differing from that found in a jungle (of course both share similar animals like monkeys and birds, but the species type are different). They are found in South America, parts of Australia (eg. Tasmania).
Corey Graham   Monday, May 26, 2003, 18:07 GMT
This is up my alley, I am an Environmental Technician.

There are no official criteria for what a jungle is. Jungles are often however associated with either rainforests or other tropical locations. It is assumed that a jungle is mostly consisting of dense brush, and a high humidity.

A Forest is a generalized term referring to any area where a large density of trees gather. There are hundreds of different types of forests, ranging from Coniferous ( pine trees etc) to Decidious ( birch, spruce, oak etc.)

Plus a forest is determined from its location ( moist = rainforest, dry = parkland)

This is as simple as I can put it. I hope I didn't confuse the issue.

Jungles = anything with dense brush ( high plants), not to be confused with " under brush" which is grasses.

Forest = any gathering of tree, and trees only.
Jim   Tuesday, May 27, 2003, 03:41 GMT
... but there's more in a forest than just trees.

I think that the word "jungle" might have come from Hindi.
Corey Graham   Monday, June 02, 2003, 15:16 GMT
In most forests there are either:
1) smaller plants that could be found anywheres, not specific to forests.

2) plants that rely on the unique eco-system created by a forest (usually high humidity, low light levels).

That is why a forest is determined solely on the presence of dence tree populations