Friends sitcom

Fisher   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:16 GMT
Hey people! I'm a student from Moscow, trying to learn some English.
Recently I got to a sale of VHS cassettes, and ended up taking a couple of Friends' seasons. I loved it!

What kinds of accents do the six friends have (if any)?
I found it's easier to understand them, compared to Britons.
In a way, they sound more "Russian" for me. lol
Clark   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:36 GMT
I have been noticing that the major languages of the New World (English, French, SPanish and Portuguese), are much easier to pronounce than their European counterparts (I am not too sure about French though). With that, this may be a reason why American English is a bit easier for someone to learn from scratch.

As for the accents of the people on Friends, it is the standard American accent. They call it "Midwest Accent" but to me, it is more West Coast accent. Truthfully, the accent of the West Coast is the standard American accent.
Fisher   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:56 GMT
West Coast means California or Seattle?

By the way I've just watched the episodes where they are hanging out with Emily (an English person). Does she have a noticeable regional accent?
Jim   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 05:34 GMT
I find "Friends" to be one of the stipidest shows on TV. Perhaps it would be better if they called it "Children", that's how they behave.

Might not the American accent be easier just because of the students exposure? That's my theory.
Clark   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 05:35 GMT
Yeah, she (Emily) has an accent, but I cannot quite put my finger on it. I want to say more towards Souther England.

And West Coast means everything from Washington State to Southern California.
Jim   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 06:33 GMT
"stupidest" not "stipidest" ... Eye stil kan't spel.
silk   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 06:52 GMT
"Friends" behave like teenagers. Although, they are thiry something or are in their late thirties.
It's high time "friends" became mature. Responsible adults dealing with the real problems of daily life not the silly ones.
Clark   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 09:16 GMT
Well, Friends is one of my favourite shows.
Simon   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 09:35 GMT
in Frasier, there is an Englishwoman doing what appears to be a northern English accent. Apparently even she does not what accent this is meant to be.
Clark   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 09:44 GMT
I think she is from Liverpool. And the father of Frasier is from Manchester originally.
Fisher   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 11:32 GMT
Jim, I think their kid's bahvior is the primary comedy situation in the series.
As it's a sitcom it has to have a plot similar to those of say the "Duck Tales" or "Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers" :)
deaptor   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 11:51 GMT
Jim,
> I find "Friends" to be one of the stupidest shows on TV.
Is there any show that you would like describe without usage of the "stupid" adjactive?
I have not seen any English/American TV show so I'm just curious what they are looked like to you.
Simon   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 11:59 GMT
Personally I never took to Friends even though it was by the same people as Dream On.
Chantal   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 14:14 GMT
Every time I go to the US, I watch "Golden girls". It's hilarious and is good to pick up some American expressions. I watch "the nanny" too and I like the nasal New Yourker accent of "Fren".
Clark   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 19:13 GMT
What channels still show those shows? Those are relatively old. I do not even think the re-runs are even playing.