gerund or infinitive?

Max   Monday, June 16, 2003, 11:07 GMT
(I'm talking about the verb "like" only. In other cases, like Logan and Jim say, it depends on the verb.)
Kabam   Monday, June 16, 2003, 11:40 GMT
So the British guy I talked to was probably not a liar. Thanks Max. :)
Antonio   Monday, June 16, 2003, 11:45 GMT
Both are correct, kainlow.

BUT; the gerund form should preferably be used in a formal context, or basically, when writing.
Some verbs ´require´ the gerund ( ie: stop, start, try: ´Stop eating Kainlow!´ sounds better than ´Stop to eat!´, besides, the verb ´stop´ requires the gerund ´eating´. )
If you want, get yourself a good grammar and memorise such verbs; using them when you need or feel like doing.
looked on google   Monday, June 16, 2003, 12:50 GMT
I don't like to get up early in the morning.
(= I don't usually get up early)
I don't like getting up early in the morning.
(= I usually have to get up early)
forgot to say   Monday, June 16, 2003, 12:52 GMT
Its not something I would stress about, the difference is very minor and as you can see native speakers aren't really too sure either!
Smallville & Dark Angel   Monday, June 16, 2003, 15:45 GMT
So Logan & Max + Lana & Clark are here
Jim   Monday, June 16, 2003, 23:42 GMT
"I don't like to get up early in the morning." = "I don't like getting up early in the morning."

I was driving down the highway. I was feeling hungry. I saw a restaurant. I thought "I might stop to eat." Then it started to rain so when I tried to stop my car slipped and I crashed. All my bones were broken but I was still hungry.
Jim   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 01:38 GMT
Then it started to rain, so, when I tried to stop, my car slipped and I crashed.
kainlow   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 09:17 GMT
Thank you. I was asking about the differece between this two statements with "like", but thank you for the rest answers as well, cose they'll improve my English. You are really great.