How many languages?

chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 21:53 GMT
Indeed, in Quebec they translate from English into Quebecois in order to preserve their language. For example, I heard in Quebec city "bienvenue" when I thanked them (Par exemple, lorsque je remerciait un vendeur dans un magasin, il me répondait avec 'bienvenue'). It's translated literally from English "you're welcome" !
Another example is about what we say in France "date limite de consammation". The Quebecois have chosen "meilleur avant", literally tanslation of the English term "best before". They think their terms are more French than the French. There are more examples.
Clark   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 22:00 GMT
I think it is funny how the French use certain English words where the Québecois use French words, and then the Québecois use English words where the French use French words.

An example I gave before:

In France: "On se gare dans un parking."

In Québec: "On se parque dans un stationnement."

Also:

Fr.: e-mail
Qu.: courriel
Tabisora   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 22:10 GMT
"on a vu un GANG sur la place"
"on a trouvé un SPOT pour camper"!
And the Quebecois' pronouciation is more nasal and their intonation is quite close to American.
The government of Quebec want to save french more than the french one.
Seems it's not all the story...
chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 22:12 GMT
Tabisora, You mentioned :

Quebec: boîte à malle (probably taken from "mail box")
France: boîte aux lettres

Do you still use 'malle' as a mail box in France ?
Parce que "malle-poste ou malle" (1793) était l'ancienne voiture des services postaux. (1860, d'après l'anglais mail, Malle des Indes).
Maybe the Quebecois use "boîte à malle" because it's archaic or old French. Nevertheless, according to "Petit Robert", it's a borrowing from English. can't we say, 'boîte aux lettres' is more French than "boîte à malle" ?
That reminds me the use of the word "email" in France. Most French can pronounce the "mail" in 'j'ai envoyé un mail'. But some pronounce like 'j'ai envoyé un mél'. In the latter, the pronunciation of mail is incorrect.

Did you have your 'bac' or are you still at high school ?
chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 22:15 GMT
Tabisora
Well, you know what happens when you try to be more catholic than Pope !
Clark   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 22:35 GMT
What about the pronunciation of the "r" in Qu.? Are they trilled like in Spanish, or does it depend on speaker and location?
Kabam   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 22:42 GMT
All the Quebecois I heard pronouce the "r" like the French, a bit stronger though. It's a bit similar to the difference between American and British "r".
Kabam   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 22:44 GMT
I did not hear Quebecois from each location, though.

Chantal, I didn't see your message about your native tongue. So you come from Iran? How many country have you visited? You seem to know a lot of them...
Tabisora   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:04 GMT
Chantal,
I have passed a part of the bac this year (about a week ago). I'm having the second part next year, the last one.
And you, are you at university?

The government of Quebec shouldn't try to save French this way because the contrary seems to be happening.
But after all, are the English words & expressions they use really destroying French? I don't think so. "Malle" is actually a pure french word which means "trunk".
In Japan they've taken a huge amount of english words but that doesn't mean their language will die. Because those words are all "japanised". Could an English-speaking person recognise a word like "hankachi" (handkerchief)?
Don't think so.
Same for "tu FITerais bien à la télé".

Kabam, c'est vRai qu'les Québécois y pR'nonce les R foRts!
chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:10 GMT
yes Kabam
I traveled and I travel a great deal.
In summer, I am always in Canada and the US.
I go to London at least once a year and Germany once a year.
chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:14 GMT
Tabisora
Your English is much better than the average "bachelier". Good for you.
I am preparing the Certificate of Proficiency in English, Cambridge University.
chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:18 GMT
Sorry :
" I have travelled and..."
Kabam   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:19 GMT
You're right I haven't any problem with the fact that we take a lot of words from English at the moment. After all, English has lot of French Words too.
And when you listen to the way we pronouce English word, you definetly don't find they sound English.
Tabisora   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:22 GMT
Thank you Chantal. Wish you good luck for your Proficiency. Your English is great you know. Bet you'll have no problem. :)
chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 23:23 GMT
Tabisora
So, you passed (maybe took) 'le bac français'.