Got to, Have t...

BlackAngel   Friday, June 20, 2003, 14:47 GMT
A friend said, "this has the same meaning..

I got to learn English = I have to learn English = I must learn English

I'm not sure...
I seem that "got to" has different meaning.
Who can help me?
Jacob   Friday, June 20, 2003, 15:44 GMT
Two interpretations of "I got to learn English" :

1. (Correct usage) "I had the opportunity to learn English." "I was able to learn English." In a bit more context, "My elementary school had a visiting teacher from America, so I got to learn English when I was still young."

2. (Substandard usage) Some people will say "I got to learn English", meaning "I have to" and "I must." But this is very bad form; don't imitate this usage, or you will sound like a native illiterate.
Jacob   Friday, June 20, 2003, 15:46 GMT
The substandard usage I indicated above is, I think, a lazy shortening of "I have got to learn English," and I don't know if the longer form is acceptable or even preferred in British English, but an educated American speaking formally would say "I have to learn English," to convey the same thing.
Guofei Ma   Friday, June 20, 2003, 22:08 GMT
"I've got to learn English" IS the preferred form in educated British English. "To have got" is the infinitive in British English for the verb that means "to posess". "To get" is the infinitive universally for the verb that means "to obtain".
Jim   Monday, June 23, 2003, 03:03 GMT
I've got to agree with Guofei Ma that "I've got to ..." is correct, however, I'm not sure that it's the infinitive. It sure looks like to present perfect to me.

Anyway, "I have got to ..." and "I have to ..." mean the same thing. You can shorten the first to "I've got to ..." but you can't shorten the second to "I've to ..." The first is often shortened to "I got to ..." but I'd advise ESL students to stear clear of this as it sounds uneducated, like Jacob says.

"I got to ..." can also mean "I had the opportunity to ..." so this is another reason to avoid shortening "I've got to ..." to "I got to ..."
Jim   Monday, June 23, 2003, 03:04 GMT
I've got to agree with Guofei Ma that "I've got to ..." is correct, however, I'm not sure that it's the infinitive. It sure looks like to present perfect to me.

Anyway, "I have got to ..." and "I have to ..." mean the same thing. You can shorten the first to "I've got to ..." but you can't shorten the second to "I've to ..." The first is often shortened to "I got to ..." but I'd advise ESL students to stear clear of this as it sounds uneducated, like Jacob says.

"I got to ..." can also mean "I had the opportunity to ..." so avoiding confusion is another reason not to shorten "I've got to ..." to "I got to ..."
Jim   Monday, June 23, 2003, 03:06 GMT
Sorry about the double posting ... I didn't realise it would happen ... anyway I think thew second is nicer.
flip_side   Friday, June 27, 2003, 11:07 GMT
yup yup yup! i agree with you guys. im an asian and we often used the term "i got to go!" which means "i have to go". but as you guys have said, the more correct term should be "i have got to go" and i can give an example sentence for this... "i have got to go and watch that movie". =)

=) but i have a question too... when do we use specially and especially?

coz i use "especially" in sentences like this.. "i love to play ball games especially billiards"

and use "specially" with "this gift is specially for you"

thanks you!!
chantal   Friday, June 27, 2003, 14:56 GMT
Especially and specially are often used in the same way. You cannot always hear the difference clearly when people speaking :
She made the dress especially/specially for the party.
He wrote the song especially/specially for his daughter.
But especially is more common than specially and usually means 'in particular' :
She loves all sports, especially swimming.
The hotel food wasn't very good, especially if you're vegetarian.
It can also mean 'to a particular degree' :
I don't especially like sweet things.
Specially usually means 'for a particular purpose' and is often followed by a past participle :
The swimming-pool has been specially designed for children.
She had her clothes specially made in Paris.
Jim   Tuesday, July 01, 2003, 00:35 GMT
Chantal's right. Here's what I've managed to pilfer from the Cambridge Dictionary.

specially adverb (ALSO especially)
extremely or particularly:
This is a specially good wine.
"Is there anything you want to do this evening?" "Not specially."
The children really liked the museum, specially the dinosaurs.

specially adverb (ALSO especially)
for a particular purpose:
I came here specially to see you.
She has a wheelchair that was specially made for her.
The opera 'Aida' was specially written for the opening of the Cairo opera house in 1871.

especially adverb (ALSO specially)
very much; particularly; for a particular reason:
She's not especially interested in sport.
I chose this especially for your new house.
They invited her to speak especially because of her experience in inner cities.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=76275&dict=CALD
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=76289&dict=CALD
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=26293&dict=CALD