If I know well, 'persons' is wrong.

David Bosch   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 19:11 GMT
I have spoken to plenty of people who istead of saying person for singular, and people for plural; they say person and persons.

Even some English teachers in other countries (they're not native English speakers) that I've met, say persons. 'There will be two persons', and I find that wrong.

If it is correct I apologise, but tell me whether it is or not, and what you think.
David Bosch   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 19:13 GMT
it is instead, not istead, sorry.
David Bosch   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 19:15 GMT
Even in this very forum, there is a topic called 'Names of persons and places.'
Clark   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 19:17 GMT
I am not sure of the correct usage, but I think it is silly to say "persons" for "people."
Eulalia   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 19:20 GMT
In my opinion that using of the word “persons” is not grammatically wrong; but I believe that it is somewhat not usual. I use the word “people” instead of “persons”, it looks much better, I guess.
Eulalia   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 19:23 GMT
I just wanted to add that you might find “persons” in plural nouns such as “persons using radio or television”.
Jacob   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 19:34 GMT
`Persons' reeks of beaurocracy and pseudo-intellectualism. Used by the same people who mistakenly say things like "Please speak to Mr. Smith or myself."

There's no reason to use it, except when it occurs in a set phrase, such as "person or persons unknown."
chantal   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 23:02 GMT
My teachers(British and North American) have always told us to use 'people' as the plural for 'person'.
He's just the person we need.
People drive very badly in this country.

'Persons' is mostly used in legal language and other formal or written contexts :
holiday apartements accommodating 1-6 'persons'.
'Persons' under the age of 18 are not admitted.
(grammar) The first person 'I/we' refers to the person(s) speaking.
(law) She was accused of conspiring with (a) person or 'persons' unknown.
Rock   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 23:05 GMT
David Bosch
Why did you mention the 'Names of persons and places''s topic ? Is there something interesting about it ?

>>>Even in this very forum, there is a topic called 'Names of persons and places>>>
David Bosch   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 23:51 GMT
No, I even haven't taken a look at it, lol; I mentioned it because the title of the topic carries the word 'persons'.

... Does it mean that 'people' is rather used for talking about masses or groups whereas 'persons' is more used for talking about several individuals?

(Note: i am not quite sure whether 'individuals' is a word expressing 'individual people', just that I did not want to use the word 'people' there, because it would be more confusing, lol)
Jim   Friday, June 27, 2003, 00:22 GMT
In certain formal or legal contexts the word "persons" is used with a meaning distinct from "people". like David suggests, it is used (as far as I know) to indicate that your speaking about individuals as opposed to a group. Outside such contexts I find the use silly, unnecessary, irritating & wrong.

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=59039&dict=CALD
Jim   Friday, June 27, 2003, 00:26 GMT
Eulalia   Friday, June 27, 2003, 05:29 GMT
Is it not right then to use the noun phrase “persons using radio” indicating a number of radio listeners?
Simon   Friday, June 27, 2003, 08:28 GMT
Use "persons" when writing something formal or making a very formal speech (i.e. as a judge).

Use "people" when talking under most circumstances and when writing informally.

Also "people" has its own meaning. Don't say "the persons of America, salute their leader".
Someone sent this   Friday, June 27, 2003, 15:22 GMT
Use 'people' as the plural for 'person'.
He's just the person we need.
People drive very badly in this country.

'Persons' is mostly used in legal language and other formal or written contexts :
holiday apartements accommodating 1-6 'persons'.
'Persons' under the age of 18 are not admitted.
(grammar) The first person 'I/we' refers to the person(s) speaking.
(law) She was accused of conspiring with (a) person or 'persons' unknown.