style and register

at a loss   Friday, June 27, 2003, 11:34 GMT
On July 9th I have my final exams at the university. Would somebody please tell me the difference between style and register in linguistics. I'd be indebted for the rest of my life.
John X on behalf of the Vice Lords   Friday, June 27, 2003, 11:43 GMT
http://www.esoeonline.org/main-index/index-teachers/stylevsregister.htm

Now you're indebted to me for the rest of your life.

Ok, I need a getaway driver for a bank job and I think you're just the person. After that, we'll call it quits - the debt will have been repaid. Do you have number I can reach you on? Don't worry, it's not too difficult a job and in any case my team is armed to the teeth with semi-automatic rifles and semtex.

Regards,

A friend.
Fred   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 10:47 GMT
John X
What do you mean by 'quits' ? I understand what you mean in the context. Do you speak some French ? Do you mean what French say "nous sommes *quits" ?
* I'm not sure of the spelling of this word.
at a loss   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 17:09 GMT
Ok I'm game for it. But don't you reckon it's a trifle risky advertising your bank job on the net? I could be a cop. My phone number: 666

Thanks for the site anyway.
still at a loss   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 17:11 GMT
There seems to be but one site on style vs. register on the net. Could anyone find something else pleeeease? The exam day is coming by leaps and bounds!
chantal   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 03:52 GMT
at a loss
Here I did some research for you :
*Register*
the range of vocabulary, grammar, etc used by speakers in particular social circumstances or professional contexts : The essay suddenly switches from a formal to an informal register.
In oder words, when you speak of register in a composition you mean 'formal' for 'informal' languge.

*Style*
A manner of writing that is characteristic of a particular writer, historical period or type of litetature : make a study of Dicken's style. A poem in classical style.
style also means the correct or conventional use of a language : Is it correct/good English style to begin a sentence with 'but' ?

I hope they meet your requirements.
no longer at a loss   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 18:45 GMT
Thank you very much Chantal. You've been quite a brick to me. I'll use the info in my exam. Hope I make it.
chantal   Monday, June 30, 2003, 07:11 GMT
My pleasure !
Good luck no longer at a loss !
Keep your fingers crossed !
chantal   Monday, June 30, 2003, 07:15 GMT
sorry, I made a mistake :

>>In oder words, when you speak of register in a composition you mean 'formal' for 'informal' languge. <<
I meant "In other words......"
to "no longer at a loss"   Monday, June 30, 2003, 19:20 GMT
What kind of exam are you taking at the university ?
Are you studying "English as a second language" ?
Tell us how went you exam ?
hope no longer at a loss   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 12:19 GMT
It's my MA thesis exam that I will have to take and hopefully pass. By the way, can you 'defend' your MA theses? I'm not sure if it's the correct collocation.

to to "no longer at a loss''
I study, or rather did study, linguistics (natch in English)
to 'hope no longer at a loss'   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 21:21 GMT
I heard :
to support a thesis
sam   Monday, July 07, 2003, 21:23 GMT
hope no longer at a loss
You'll take your exam the day after tomorrow. Please do tell us how was everything. Did you make it ?
Good luck anyway...
Rock   Monday, July 07, 2003, 21:25 GMT
to hope no longer at a loss
I wish you the best of the luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking for a job with MA degree   Friday, July 11, 2003, 17:50 GMT
Thanks to all of you for keeping your fingers crossed. Finally and luckily I'm through with my studies. They asked me about the style and register business and you helped me a lot because I passed with flying colours. The board was quite impressed and when they asked me where I got all the information on the subject I replied; "from antimoon of course!". Their jaws dropped.