How long does it really take to speak english as good as a nativ

Guofei Ma   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 18:48 GMT
Undoubtedly, as everyone here already knows, young children learn languages faster. I wonder why pupils in America and Britain don't begin learning multiple languages when they are in kindergarten. From my own experience, it won't cause confusion- I never confused English and Mandarin Chinese when I was little. In fact, I tend to confuse languages more at present than formerly.
Ashley   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 19:01 GMT
Like if a 14 year old native speaker of english, tried to learn spanish, will they be pretty close to sounding like a native once they know the language very well?
shana   Sunday, July 13, 2003, 23:49 GMT
Ashley
If they live in a Spanish speaking country that can be possible. Generally speaking, 14 is not too early to pick up the native accent but yet it depends on the 14-year olds. They are not all equal. Some are better off than the others. Anyway, 14 is better than 20.
SagaSon   Monday, July 14, 2003, 00:38 GMT
14 ... The age I could have improved my English pronunciation ... too late for me now .
Ryan   Monday, July 14, 2003, 02:29 GMT
Saga, you can still pronounce English correctly and be perfectly understood by native speakers. You will just speak English somewhat in the rhythm of your native language It would have been difficult for you to speak in a perfect American or British accent. You would have had to live here before age 14 and spoke English regularly as well as speaking your native language with your family. I know bi-lingual people who speak both languages with correct accent and this is how all of them had to do it.

Ryan
mehdi   Monday, July 14, 2003, 16:17 GMT
hi,my name is mehdi and I,d like speaking english.I think It,s very wonderful so I will can do it,tanks